Post-dropsy prep for new fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

extremenewb

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, about a fortnight ago I PTS my betta after it was sufferring from dropsy :( I'm thinking of stocking the tank up again, however, I was told I should disinfect (ie bleach) it before re-stocking it. Although I've read thru posts concerning bleaching, includ what parts to what water/bleach, wondering if some1 can clear up some qn I have.

1. In my tank there is a sponge filter, resin driftwood, java fern x 2, java moss, a heater, a big rock, and gravel. I was thinking of just mixing the bleach directly into the still-filled up aquarium (even the air pump is still running for the sponge atm). However, what would I need to take out? I'm thinking the filter, but I'm unsure about the resin and live plants?

2. Also, for the items I would have to remove, how would I go around disinfecting them?

Thanks!!!

Hi Extreme,
I won't be of a lot of help because I have never personally had to disinfect a tank, so hopefully someone comes along and helps more, but ill tell you what I know.

First off obviously putting bleach in the tank with live plants will kill them, so defiantly don't do that. And secondly, you would need to empty the tank because you can't just leave the bleach in there. After using any amount of bleach on the tank, you need to rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, and rinse some more. Then when you are done, rinse even more.

My question is if it might be easier to just purchase a antibiotic and treat the entire tank. This may not be practical depending on the size of your tank, but seems much easier than bleaching the whole thing, and it will kill off any bacteria.

Well that's my 2 cents, hopefully someone more knowledgeable comes along. :roll: :lol:

-brent

thx, obviously biology isn't my strong point. I think, from what I read, the exposure time is around 15-20 mins? Then heavy rinse rinse rinse, sun dry maybe, etc.

I've always thought of an anti-biotic, but dunno what I would use, tho if it's possible, it might be practical since mine's only around 2g after everythings been put in. But yea, from what I've been reading, looks like the major ones are bleach and potassium permaganate (excuse the spelling) for disinfecting.

1. In my tank there is a sponge filter, resin driftwood, java fern x 2, java moss, a heater, a big rock, and gravel. I was thinking of just mixing the bleach directly into the still-filled up aquarium (even the air pump is still running for the sponge atm). However, what would I need to take out? I'm thinking the filter, but I'm unsure about the resin and live plants?

2. Also, for the items I would have to remove, how would I go around disinfecting them?

?????????????????????????????????????????

I have sterilized, with bleach, a 5 gallon tank after the betta died of dropsy. I took everything out of the tank, added 2 cups of bleach and hot water, and let it sit for 2 days. I think letting the tank sit with bleach overnight is fine. I just got busy and didn't get back to my tank for a few days.

I then rinsed for 15-20 minutes. The tank was small enough to fit in the sink and use the sprayer, so I kept doing that. I then filled the tank back up and used a triple amount of dechlorinator. I let that sit a day, then rinse and repeat, lol -- I emptied the water with dechlor in it, filled the tank up again, put more dechlor in, and let that sit for a day. Then I felt that the tank was ok. You could also let the tank sit in the sun. Sunlight neutralizes the bleach, but I did this in December.

I also soaked (and rinsed very well) my silk plants in the bleach water in the tank. I also soaked the heater suction cups. I threw away the sponge filter and gravel -- they are cheap, and got a new filter and bag of gravel for the next betta. I know that means cycling a new tank, but you don't know what possibly is in the gravel or filter. I didn't throw away the real plants, though. I just rinsed them with tap water and put them in a container with dechlorinated water until I was ready to plant them in the next tank. You could soak them in potassium permanganate, though, if you can find some.

I don't think I would bleach the resin driftwood and the rock. Rinse them well and put them in a sunny spot for a few days. Hopefully the heat of the sun, and being out in the air, will kill any remaining parasites and bad things. To disinfect my heater, I used a wet rag and put a few drops of bleach on it, and wiped it over the heater. I then wiped the heater a few times with a wet rag to rinse it. I did not soak it in the bleach water.

Back
Top Bottom