Post ich skin condition on mbuna cichlid? (pic)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lisa67

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Three of my young mbuna had visable ich on them. Before it spread to the rest of the tank I turned the heat up and added salt. I'm now 6 days into treatment (I was told to keep the heat up for 10 days) and the ich APPEARS to be gone. However, now the fish who had it are "splotchy" looking. All three fish who I saw parasites on are young mbuna who haven't gotten their color yet. Any idea what would have cause this? And will it heal? It doesn't seem to bother them at all.
img_1366168_0_a696abe12979569cf52d22da81854436.jpg

It could be a secondary bacterial or fungal infection from the holes the ich come out of. Does it seem to be getting worse? Just wondering, because higher temps make fungus worse. Do NOT turn the heat down yet, the ich is probably in the substrate now, in it's protected stage (cyst) and it has yet to burst. What is your water changing schedule? Have you done any gravel vacs since you raised the heat?

I guess a bacteria or fungal infection is possible. It does seem unlikely to me as the ich was so mild when I caught it. If it is bacteria how would I treat it?
Whatever it is, it does not appear to be raised. It actually looks like the color was rubbed off of them.
Normally I do approx 30-40% water changes about every 5 days or so and vaccuum the sand as well as possible (not easy with sand). But since I raised the temp about 6 days ago I haven't done it because I was worried about all the temp fluctuation. My ammonia and nitrite are both 0. The last time I tested it the nitrate was just a trace amount. Looking in my tank now the lone pleco still looks like he could Possibly have something on his skin. I'm not sure, I don't see him often. He was actually the fish that started all the problems in the tank. The day after I added him I had 3 fish die with NO symptoms at all... then the ich. NEVER again will I add a fish without isolating them first. I have learned my lesson.

Well, what I would suggest is getting an antibacterial medicine or food for them as soon as you are done with your 10 days. If it's not fluffy I would doubt it's a fungus, so bacteria seems most likey. IMO it looks a little too white to just be color fading from stress.

The spots could just be from the fish flashing to remove the irritation on their skin. I would keep the heat up and start on daily water changes with gravel vac but monitor the spots without treating with meds. If the spots continue to get worse or they aren't showing improvment within a week then maybe think about treating, but you'd be surprised at what a continuous clean water will do.

Back
Top Bottom