power outtage no air!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shammond15731

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am not sure where I should post this but, we were just hit with a bad storm and lost power, and have been told it will be a few days before it is restored. How long can platys, tetras, and barbs go with no air stone and no heater? I am not as concerned about the heat as it is HOT in the house now but I am worried about the air.

Not sure how long they can go without but you can manually agitate the tank with a wisk or if you can find a battery operated air pump

This time of year the heater probably will not much matter. Every few hours churn up the water a bit and do not feed the fish. I have found that my tanks do fine for days at a time without power. I stock very lightly though.

That is my concern, living in hurricane country! When you can, get some battery powered air stones. I've had to use them once, but it was only for 24 hours. I guess it helped because I didn't lose anything. But as you've already been advised, swish the water around once in a while and make some bubbles in there. Also, once you get your power back it might be a good idea to do a test and pwc.

Went and bought a generator for the house this morning so got everything back up and running.......except our AC ughhhh!! Anyway the fish are happy and oblivious to all the chaos this has caused lol

If it gets too warm, if nothing else, open the tops and blow a fan across the top of the water. Good on you for getting a generator! We used to have one but hubby sold it! Not terribly brilliant. That's great for you! Nothing like having a generator. AT least you can run your fridge and a couple of other essentials (like FISH TANKS! LOL!).

If you don't over stock your tank it should be good for a day or two. I never worried about power failures until I went to SW. Now I have a a 1000 watt inverter with a deep cycle battery just incase.

Power is back on and everyone survived!!!! Whew!!! Glad that is over, I was about as worried for them as I was my children during the storm!

Back
Top Bottom