Pregnant Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bubbles10

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a tank with 4 white fin rosy tetra, 2 forktail blue eye rainbowfish, and 2 julii catfish. One of my tetras has been acting strange and I was wondering if it was a possibility that it could maybe be pregnant or if maybe it is just sick? I'm not sure of the sex of any of the fish..

When I fed the fish last week, the one tetra seemed to blow up and get really fat (I'm not sure if it got big right after I fed them or if it had progressively been getting bigger and that is just when I first noticed). I was afraid I overfed it so I didn't feed them for 2 days. I noticed a small black dot on the underside of the tetra's belly. The last 2 days it has been hiding underneath a rock cave I have in the tank.. it comes out to eat, but it seems to still be a little "fatter" than the other tetras and is acting kind of sketchy by not coming out to swim with the others like it usually does.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Or could this just be a case of a sick fish of some sort? (I'm still fairly new at fish keeping so I don't know anything about breeding fish or them laying their eggs or whatever they do!) :confused:

None of the fish you listed can get pregnant, so that's not the case...

I'm going to move this to the Unhealthy Fish forum, since that's a more appropriate place.

Some helpful information would be tank size, parameters, how long you've had them, any recent changes, and anything else you think might help diagnose the issue.

It is a 10 gal tank and I have had the fish since about August of this year.. The fish has still been hiding all day but again came out when I put food in the tank. He doesn't sit still quite long enough for me to really look at him, but it appears that his right eye is "hazy" and slightly white looking, but I can't tell if it is popping out or not.. it seems like it could be sticking out a little further than the other (potential popeye maybe? But I'm not sure if one eye can be affected and not the other?). I would say the area by his right gill is also redder than that area on the other fish, but you can see through these fishes bodies so I'm not sure if I am maybe just making everything on this fish seem like it is a disease when it really isn't. His eye does look a little cloudy though..

I just checked the water conditions and the pH was around 7.5, ammonia was 0, nitrites were 0, nitrAtes were 5. I was watching them just now and after I fed them, the "sick" fish stayed out for a little while but then I noticed one of the other tetras started going after him and looked like it was trying to nip the "sick" fish... could the symptoms of the "sick" fish possibly be a sign of fighting or something?

Back
Top Bottom