Pregnant Guppies Are Dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fhqwhgads

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay, I took everyone's advice. And so I've finally managed to notice that my feeder guppies are breeding, now another problem. The female guppies that are pregnant, some being very swollen looking and far into pregnancy are dying. I've had to take out at least a dead pregnant one once every week within the last month or so. All the other guppies, ranging from older fry to adults are fine, so are the females that don't seem to be carrying babies. This is so frustrating. Right now I keep 2 males and about 3 females in a 5 gallon to do their thing. When I notice that any one of the females are pregnant or there is a possibility, I take the rest out so that she can be alone. However, this has proved a failure so far. There is a filter, and air source. I'm thinking about starting over with some not so common feeder guppies and purchasing some 'higher end' guppies to see if I can even get some babies. What am I doing wrong here? :(

Please provide your water parameter (temp, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH). Is the 5 gal cycled? When you pull the pregnant female, what are you putting her in? What do you mean by "air source" and filter?

Back
Top Bottom