Preventative Methods for Possible Ich Symptoms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You need to dissolve the salt in the new water before adding it to the tank.

But the salt isn't dissolving -- it's just sitting in lumps at the bottom of the bucket...

You say to disolve it before adding it to the tank; someone else said add it to the tank directly...jeez...

Does it work as a tonic? I don't know.

I'm just saying what the API instructions claimed...

Don't tell people to go elsewhere to help you. You did ask that of me and I did not waste my time searching through the forums doing homework you asked me to do. Next time give the numbers in the thread currently being discussed.

First and foremost, calm down and readjust your attitude -- no need for this kind of display, "barking orders" at people, saying "don't tell people to go elsewhere to help you..." That's just downright rude. Second, I wasn't "telling" you to go anywhere with any kind of authority that you thought I was in my statement -- what I meant was, my test results had been discussed in great depth and length in a dedicated thread...dedicated just to that subject. If you didn't want to go review that for hard details, I don't know what to say -- I don't recall offhand what the results were except to say that they were rather neutral and on the "safe" side.

I never use or recommend using salt all the time, but it is a very valuable tool in some cases (especially with external parasites like ich). There are many people who use it and an increase in temp as the only thing they ever do for ich, and it can be very effective. In addition, goldfish are treated as salt lovers in the industry. They are almost always given very high amounts of salt in wholesalers' and shops' tanks. I had to start adding salt to the goldfish system at the shop I was running because it stressed them so much to not have a lot of sal tin their water after coming from the wholesaler.

Always measure carefully. Do not add a squirt of dechlorinator, a handful of salt, or a scoop of meds. Measure it out.

I did measure it out -- as I said, I dropped around 10 or so tablespoons of salt into the water that is going to be replacing the evaporation based on API's instructions.

The water in the bucket was saturated so no more salt will dissolve. The salt in the bucket also will not help the fish in the tank, add it to the tank next time. Split it into a few additions throughout the day (not all at once).

What do you mean the water in the bucket was "saturated so no more salt will dissolve"? I only put the 10 tablespoons of salt direct into the bucket and none of it dissolved -- the instructions even say that the salt won't dissolve in the tank itself, so I just don't get this...

You say the salt in the bucket won't help the fish in the tank -- but the water from the bucket is going into the tank with the salt so I don't understand the difference...

Exactly. I think the most annoyed was just asking a question and being told to go find the answer.

You just don't let up, do you? I explained my stance on this -- I wasn't "telling" you to go anywhere and if that was misunderstood, it wouldn't be the first time.

I was merely explaining that the in-depth discussion of the water results existed in a dedicated thread. All I could add at the time of replying to you was that I couldn't recall what the results were other than to say they were on the safe-ish side.

WOW!!!!!!! I don't know if you've decided what to do yet. But after reading all the responses to your question, I wouldn't have a clue which way to go.
They all sound annoyed at each other for having a difference of opinion.
For now I just want to say good luck to you and your fish. And I wish you clarity.
Blessings
Wendi

Thank you Wendi...I know exactly what you are referring to here, and I am addressing this in private with you.

Keep it on topic!

I would keep an eye on it. Goldfish do flash against the bottom of the tank. They can do this to stir up food. They are quite the pigs.

If it does turn out to be ich, don't use the heat method. Goldfish are coldwater species and will not react well to temps above 86F.

Zagz,

Thanks for the input and attempt at assistance; I didn't know goldfish flash to stir up food -- I always assumed something was wrong, as their flashing is rather abrupt and not really focused, from what I could tell, on just stirring up the gravel. They dart across the bottom of the tank, rubbing on the substrate, in long bounds.

With regard to the heat method, I had been advised that it is perfectly okay to use the heat and salt method for Ich with goldfish, so long as the temperature is raised to 90 degrees VERY slowly, over many days.

90?

Wow, 90 degrees sound a little pushy. I never heard that high. It is going to be hard to find a heater that goes that high.

I always hear 86 to 87 max should be enough.

Wow, 90 degrees sound a little pushy. I never heard that high. It is going to be hard to find a heater that goes that high.

I always hear 86 to 87 max should be enough.

Well, that's what's been suggested to me in the past -- but raising it VERY slowly over many days to get to that level. You are more likely right though -- I am sure high 80s like that would be more than enough heat to combat Ich.

Still, I'm not even sure that's what I have -- the fish are quick flashing, but I don't know why. I am going to drop in Tetra Parasite Guard fizzing tablets and see if that helps...

Calm down. No one is trying to bother you. People are only trying to help. Some may get a little annoyed when you ask them to go to other threads for simple questions. They also tend to stop helping when you yell at them for not being as diplomatic as possible. I didn't see any posts that warranted that response. If any of mine came across that bad, sorry, that is not what I meant. Sorry for bothering you. That is not what I meant to do.

You still have not provided your tank's parameters, something any thread about any problem should include. We don't need an in depth discussion of your tank's parameters, we need numbers for pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and temp. We need to know what has happened lately. How long after a water change did the fish start showing signs? What are the parameters today? We need to know current parameters, not ones from whenever you started the other thread.

The salt will dissolve in the tank, but it may be slow. Mixing it in a stagnant bucket of water will not dissolve all of it. If you had a pump in the bucket to keep things moving it would. Just topping off evaporation with that bucket won't help. You need to add salt to the tank to treat with salt.

I wouldn't go above 85F or so with fancy goldfish.

Honestly I wouldn't get too crazy about anything yet. Asking about it and what to do if it gets worse is great. Being ready to handle a big problem is perfect. Fortunatley ich is one of the most common and most easily handled diseases out there. Bump the temp up a little, add a little salt, but I wouldn't go beyond that yet if you don't see the characteristic 'salt grains' of ich.

If you feel they have ich then do treat it. I use the heat method for any fish with ich except my goldies. However my goldies are all over 12 years old and ich is not a problem there.

This will be the final warning to keep ONLY to the topic and keep the personal directed comments out of it.

But the salt isn't dissolving -- it's just sitting in lumps at the bottom of the bucket...

You say to disolve it before adding it to the tank; someone else said add it to the tank directly...jeez...

I'm just saying what the API instructions claimed...

Good luck

Correct me if I'm wrong here but wouldn't a partial water change and gravel vac first be wise before treating? That way you reduce the amount of ich living in the tank immediately.

Calm down. No one is trying to bother you. People are only trying to help. Some may get a little annoyed when you ask them to go to other threads for simple questions. They also tend to stop helping when you yell at them for not being as diplomatic as possible. I didn't see any posts that warranted that response. If any of mine came across that bad, sorry, that is not what I meant. Sorry for bothering you. That is not what I meant to do.

I'm not saying you bothered me -- and I suggested that you calm down as well, because it seems like people are just all about barking commands and orders at people. Herein is the issue: You claim that you didn't see any posts that warranted the kind of reply I mustered -- but indeed, you made it very clear, via a staunch, nearly rabid-like statement of "DON'T TELL ANYONE TO..." and that was rude.

You still have not provided your tank's parameters, something any thread about any problem should include. We don't need an in depth discussion of your tank's parameters, we need numbers for pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and temp. We need to know what has happened lately. How long after a water change did the fish start showing signs? What are the parameters today? We need to know current parameters, not ones from whenever you started the other thread.

This is being taken out of context -- I directed you to that other thread not to back up claims of "needing" an in depth discussion, but to point out that it was discussed ad nauseum in that other thread, and that I couldn't remember the results offhand.

What I do know is this: Ammonia was around .25, NitrIte was zero, NitrAte was difficult to make out, but I don't think it was 100 percent ideal. The fish started showing symptoms after these readings were taken -- your "demand" of needing to know what the parameters are RIGHT NOW are again asking for something that doesn't fit into the context of this problem, as I DO NOT KNOW the current numbers. I fell VERY ill with a case of Bronchitis on top of severe flu, and I just started walking around recently. I didn't do a water change in some time, to answer your other query.

The salt will dissolve in the tank, but it may be slow. Mixing it in a stagnant bucket of water will not dissolve all of it. If you had a pump in the bucket to keep things moving it would. Just topping off evaporation with that bucket won't help. You need to add salt to the tank to treat with salt.

Well, what's done is done -- the day I was able to get out of bed and do the evaporation replacement, the salt was already in the bucket that was ready, so that got dumped into the tank. As of right now, the water looks awful between the salt compound and Tetra Parasite fizzing tablets I dropped in on advice from someone to ease what may be going on with the goldies.

I wouldn't go above 85F or so with fancy goldfish.

I'm not doing the heat method.

Honestly I wouldn't get too crazy about anything yet. Asking about it and what to do if it gets worse is great. Being ready to handle a big problem is perfect. Fortunatley ich is one of the most common and most easily handled diseases out there. Bump the temp up a little, add a little salt, but I wouldn't go beyond that yet if you don't see the characteristic 'salt grains' of ich.

Thanks for this advice; this heartfelt sentiment is greatly appreciated, and is the EXACT kind of tone we all should be having with one another here. Unfortunately, I already dropped the Tetra Parasite Guard in plus the salted water, and the water is horrendously cloudy again and doesn't look good. Between this and the stained ornaments I have from the diatoms that have taken over my tank, I again am in a huge pickle and dilemma with this aquarium.

It may indeed be time to shut down shop, permanently, because not only can I not get this tank to cycle, I cannot stop the algae outbreak nor the wild, swinging variations in tank conditions that seems to happen. And so the first thing I need to do is get serious about selling these fish to someone, or finding them a good home because I will not destroy them.

Correct me if I'm wrong here but wouldn't a partial water change and gravel vac first be wise before treating? That way you reduce the amount of ich living in the tank immediately.

Probably -- but if you search through my many posts and threads on the subject of water changes, you'll see where this has been beyond a nightmare for me.

I understand that you're having trouble with water changes but honestly clean water is the best preventative measure against disease. You will probably continue to have frustrating issues come up like diseases, cloudy water, ect.

I wish your goldies luck. Have any spots shown up yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom