Problem with Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redflame56262

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello, i have a male Betta that seems to be having some problems. His left eye is huge and he cant swim very well. What can i do for him?? Is there any way to cure this ???

Sounds like popeye - use an antibiotic like Maracyn I or II, Kanaplex, or TriSulfa. Popeye can be an indicator of poor water quality, meaning that there may be some ammonia present. How big is the betta's tank, and how often do you do water changes? Do you have a filter and a heater? Do you test for ammonia and nitrites? These parameters should be 0 in a cycled tank. Sometimes small betta bowls don't cycle, because they are so small, and betta illnesses like popeye or finrot can result.

If I were you, I would get a 5 gal or larger with a filter for the betta...JMO.

I agree with Blazeherd2306. Bettas are prone to diseases in a small bowl. A 5 gallon tank with a heater and a filter will be an excellent betta home. See my gallery for 5 gallon betta tank pictures. My very first betta (years ago) was in a bowl for awhile, and he was always sick. Then I set up the 5 gallon tanks for my bettas and they have never had finrot, popeye, fungus, or bacterial infections that can be associated with improper tank/water conditions.

Back
Top Bottom