Problem with neons, please help me!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sparkles12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
One of my neons doesn't want to swim with the others. He's the smallest one and he goes to the middle of the tank and doesn't really tag along with the others. Also, there's one neon who's fin is broken. It's a circle shape, is that maybe a bite from another fish? They had the neons with some bigger tetras (they looked like Serpae tetras) and some tetras that were hot pink and had thin yellow lines. Thanks =)

The missing bit of the tail is more than likely from being nipped by another fish. This is probably why he has not grown as big as the others as he is not eating as much and is basically being bullied.

When he is on his own is his behaviour normal or does he appear sluggish and not eating much?

Yes, right now he's hiding behind the water filter.He gets chased by the some of the others. All the neons look normal. when I feed them, they eat a scrap of two, but they just leave it. There is one neon, that chases the others like crazy. What should I do?

One more thing, (the small one) swims around, but he'll swim close to the gravel, and he'll go behind the plants.

Well as with all problems the first thing to do is test your water for ammonia / nitrite and nitrate,and to be on the safe side do a 25% water change before you test.

If he is still eating that is a good sign..... is he bottom feeding or does he compete at the surface with the others for food?

no, he doesn't compete with the others for food. I've not seen him eat when I feed them. Ok, I will do a water change. So far, do you think he's sick? His fins are torn.

Update: I fed them, they all got fast and furious to get the flake food, but when the little guy went to nibble on a peice, the biggest neon chased him away like crazy(I've dubbed him Sharkbait because he's the one with a bite mark on his tail) what should I do?

You seem to have a very terrotorial fish... to be honest the way its going, unless he can successfully bottom feed he will end up dieing of malnutrition.

What were the test results on the water?

They've finally calmed down, now the little guy is starting to eat a little. :)
Their fins are starting to get repaired, so it was the ammonia. I don't have a water test kit (I need it bad) but it's really expensive, $35 for the ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite. It's weird though, how could my neon tetras be so territorial? They usually are very peaceful.. Thanks for the help!

are you sure their all neons and that none of them are cardinals? my pet store gets them mixed up and will have some neons in with the cardinals and some cardinals in with the neons. They look very similar but grow to differnt sizes. that could explain the size difference. the messed up fin is probably just where another fish nipped him. his fin will grow back. you can leave him with the rest of the fish as long as his fin doesn't get worst if it does then you should keep him isolated till he is healed once he heals he will be fine to put back with the other fish.

are you sure their all neons and that none of them are cardinals? my pet store gets them mixed up and will have some neons in with the cardinals and some cardinals in with the neons.
Yeppers, I made sure. But the mean neon (Sharkbait)'s top fin is partly black. Is that normal? I take back what I said about them all calming down, when it's feeding time the toughest neons with actually fight with each other for the food. I've seen Sharkbait pull all his food closer together so he can nip anyone who comes too close. weird, ain't it?
Lol, no need to isolate Sharkbait, he's too tough to let anyone even look at his fin.;)

black on his fin huh well maybe he has some type of fungus. Go get some fungus treatment and see if that fixes his fin. and for your left out neon that could just be do to size eventually he will catch up with the rest.

Back
Top Bottom