Problem with threadfin rainbow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hroom88

Aquarium Advice Activist
A month ago I had a school of about 20 in a 75g, this being my third batch. Now there are about 12-14 remaining.

Every month or so one or 2 of these otherwise seemingly healthy fish will develop these lumps, or simply turn pale with clamped fins[sometimes without any lumps] and die(first 2 pics). This continues till there are about 3-4 remaining, and they grow to full size without any symptoms whatsoever[Last pic].

I checked my;
NH3 - 0
NO2 - 0
NO3 - <20

Feed them Hikari Micro pellets every alternate day and occasionally a blanched pea.

Tankmates are Otos: 4 and Neocaridinas.

Anybody has any suggestions, ideas?

Initially I was assuming this to be fish tb, but then 3/4 remaining from each batch wouldn't have been possible. I had thought of goitre as well, but I am waiting for your opinions.

P.S. This problem targets females primarily with the females dying first.

Attachments

• 2015.jpg
    2015.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 94
  • 20150.jpg
    20150.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 114
  • 201501.jpg
    201501.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 105
Are you crushing the micro pellets ?

Threadfins have a small mouth and an even tinier throat.

I crush up the micro pellets between my fingers. I also crush up Omega One color flakes.

I feed frozen baby brine shrimp often

I just started feeding cyclops.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420971465.648993.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes I crush them, however, I have not been able to get my hands on the brine Shrimp. I am thinking of culturing some infusoria for the purpose.

What do you think is the problem with these fish? Is it some kind of bloat? Malnutrition or anything else?

Yes I crush them, however, I have not been able to get my hands on the brine Shrimp. I am thinking of culturing some infusoria for the purpose.

What do you think is the problem with these fish? Is it some kind of bloat? Malnutrition or anything else?

Sorry, I don't know. My first thought was not enough food of the right size.

I've only owned a few. Mine did great till I crashed my tank due to being I'll/injured and not doing maintenance.

I still have my one female and she's great. I'll be getting more soonish.

Perhaps stress related? How close is your ph, temp, filter flow and lighting to their preference range? Just thinking of neons I had that didn't do well in a high light/flow tank but were ok in a small tank.

Perhaps stress related? How close is your ph, temp, filter flow and lighting to their preference range? Just thinking of neons I had that didn't do well in a high light/flow tank but were ok in a small tank.

Ph - 6.7-6.8
temp - 77°f
filter - 2217
lighting is average, my tank being planted. They seem to like swimming against the current which is opposed to what I have read.

They can choke on food. I would try some new foods and see if that helps.
I feed crushed Omega One color flakes as well as the other foods.

Can't wait to try Kensfish Golden Pearls ? lots of sizes of food.

I feed mine flakes and a variety of frozen foods like brine shrimp, daphnia and blood worms. As was suggested, I would try changing foods first and see how that works. Good luck!

They can choke on food. I would try some new foods and see if that helps.
I feed crushed Omega One color flakes as well as the other foods.

Can't wait to try Kensfish Golden Pearls ? lots of sizes of food.

They were on azoo micro pellets, didn't work before I switched to fry food, before finally moving on to hikari pellets.

I don't feed freeze dried foods. I have tiny dressing cups and I thaw a cube or two depending on which tanks I'm feeding in a little water and feed that.

Back
Top Bottom