Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Start treating ASAP with pimafix and aquarium salt. Pimafix will control the worms and fungal infections, which is mostly your problem, and salt will help heal some of the fin damage. Also, you'll need to up your weekly water change schedule to at least 50% weekly. 25-35% isn't cutting it obviously :) good luck!

Pimafix, Melafix and salt will not touch those worms. They are some of the nastiest parasites and none of those remedies are for parasites. Please do not make suggestions without knowing what exactly a person is dealing with.

The only way to get rid of them is using a strong dog or horse dewormer. Panacur/fenbendazol and mix it in with frozen or freeze dried foods. I found frozen blood worms worked better. Feed the fish twice daily for 4 days. Fast for day 5 & 6, on day 7 deshell and mash some green peas. This will help them move the worm through their system. Then follow this same pattern for 2 weeks.

Also using Jungle parasite tabs and half the dose to treat the tank. Say the box says 1 tab per 10 gallons for 3 days. That would be 6 tabs in 3 days. Since GBRs and angelfish are more sensitive to meds, use it 1 tab a day for 6 days. DO a water change, wait a day then treat again. When you do the water changes, vacuum the gravel well. As the worms fall out of the fish, they are still alive but weakened. Vacuuming them up means they won't have the chance to lay eggs or strengthen to re-infect.

I have won the battle against Camallanus worms twice now using this method.

Pimafix, Melafix and salt will not touch those worms. They are some of the nastiest parasites and none of those remedies are for parasites. Please do not make suggestions without knowing what exactly a person is dealing with.

The only way to get rid of them is using a strong dog or horse dewormer. Panacur/fenbendazol and mix it in with frozen or freeze dried foods. I found frozen blood worms worked better. Feed the fish twice daily for 4 days. Fast for day 5 & 6, on day 7 deshell and mash some green peas. This will help them move the worm through their system. Then follow this same pattern for 2 weeks.

Also using Jungle parasite tabs and half the dose to treat the tank. Say the box says 1 tab per 10 gallons for 3 days. That would be 6 tabs in 3 days. Since GBRs and angelfish are more sensitive to meds, use it 1 tab a day for 6 days. DO a water change, wait a day then treat again. When you do the water changes, vacuum the gravel well. As the worms fall out of the fish, they are still alive but weakened. Vacuuming them up means they won't have the chance to lay eggs or strengthen to re-infect.

I have won the battle against Camallanus worms twice now using this method.

Thank you for the info, I treasure my angels and I can't find any like them so I don't want to lose them. What type did you use? There is Intervet, FURminator, and Safe-Guard from what I saw. I was looking at this one because of how cheap but I'm not sure if it low dosage etc.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=1457

GuppyLover said:
Thank you for the info, I treasure my angels and I can't find any like them so I don't want to lose them. What type did you use? There is Intervet, FURminator, and Safe-Guard from what I saw. I was looking at this one because of how cheap but I'm not sure if it low dosage etc.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=1457

You have horses don't you? Do you have anything on hand?

In the past I've used safe-guard/panacur from petsmart to treat hydra/planaria, it was the only place i could easily find it.

They sell it there? I was thinking of checking online just to see but when they didn't have dog meds I didn't even look.

Yep, both Petsmart and Petco sell it. Just make sure the the dewormer is the one that has the fenbendazol. I know they carry 2 different kinds. Also, that package is kind of expensive but you will only use a little bit from one of the packets.

If you have any problems getting your fish to eat, add a drop or 2 of garlic juice to the mix. I get the jars of pre-chopped garlic, there's lots of juice in them. It's a natural appetite enhancer.

We used the Safeguard. I think we got the one that was a 3 pack. Only needed one of them for the whole treatment.

Last edited:
Also, the doseage isn't down to a science yet. I had to scour the internet just to find any kind of info. There's isn't a quick guide like on some meds, 1 drop per gallon etc.

We did 1/8 of a teaspoon of the dewormer granules to 4 tablespoons of frozen blood worms. That was about 6 blocks of frozen blood worms. We also mixed in dry food, shrimp pellets and some drops of garlic juice. This way everyone in our tank got some of the food, shrimp, corys etc. This mixture made enough to do 3 days of treatment. You mix it up, feed the fish a bit in the morning (making sure everyone gets some and there's no leftovers) put it in the fridge (covered) do this in the morning and at night for 3 days. Any leftover after the 3 days, throw it away.

Dragonfish, all of your info is really helping me. How long do you think till she stops eating? I wanted to try my Jungle Anti-parasite before I had to make the concoction above (lol) but I don't want to run out of time. The food should be here by the 18th or the 20th. I can't thank you info for all the info you supplied me with, The angels and the GBR are first priority.

You have to treat both internal (with the food) and external (to kill off the worms as they discharge from the body) otherwise you will keep having infections.

Mine never stopped eating. They didn't want to eat at first, so we added the garlic. Once we added that, they ate every drop of food.

Let me tell ya, this is one nasty worm. I now QT all my fish for at least 6 weeks since you should see signs of infection by then. We luckily didn't lose but 8 fish this time. Sadly, 6 of those fish were GBRs. Two out of four of our angelfish were infected, you'd never know it now. They are very healthy and spawning like mad.

Good luck.

I still have 2 fizzy tablets left so I will treat it with that. I had no idea that they were still alive when the came out. SO sorry about your GBRs. I would be majorly upset if I lost mine since she has been doing SO well.

Back
Top Bottom