Problems after more problems..now ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KFav93

Aquarium Advice Freak
Help yet again. My platy has white spits but none of the other platys or fish have them yet. Right now my only immediate option is walmart. I'm going to get medicine. Any advice?

Kordon rid ich + if you have a adjustable heater increase tank temp to 80-82 for the treatment, do it slowly and lower it back down slowly after the 10 days

Kordon rid ich + if you have a adjustable heater increase tank temp to 80-82 for the treatment, do it slowly and lower it back down slowly after the 10 days
Well here's the problem. No fish stores are open right now so I went to Wal-Mart and bought the ick treatment they have because I'm not trying to lose any fish tonight. So I just poured that in. I'll check on them tomorrow.

My poor fish are going through hell right now?

Sounds like it, Walmart should of had rid ich, what did you end up getting? Is this tank by a cold wall, door, do you have a heater if no heater that's another thing that is a must have

Sounds like it, Walmart should of had rid ich, what did you end up getting? Is this tank by a cold wall, door, do you have a heater if no heater that's another thing that is a must have
I do have a heater. It's jungle ick guard. Not the best brand but it's all they had. I just need it so they make it til tomorrow. It says it doesn't raise the temperature

No a treatment for ich is to raise the water temp via heater, ich can't survive is warmer water

It says to on the bottle because it'll cancel out the medicine. Btw, my friend just gave me his ich treatment. It's the one you suggested. So I'll use that in 24 hours

Carbon removes meds, if it's a cartridge filter there's nothing you can do you just have to run it, if it's a filter with a separate bag of carbon just take the carbon out put it in zip lock bag and put it back in after the 10 days of treatment

It says to on the bottle because it'll cancel out the medicine. Btw, my friend just gave me his ich treatment. It's the one you suggested. So I'll use that in 24 hours
It's probably referring to the activated carbon. If your filter has activated carbon separate from your other stuff, just toss the carbon. If you have cartridges, you can slice open the bit where the carbon is kept. That way you will still have mechanical and biological filtration.

It's probably referring to the activated carbon. If your filter has activated carbon separate from your other stuff, just toss the carbon. If you have cartridges, you can slice open the bit where the carbon is kept. That way you will still have mechanical and biological filtration.
Never heard of slicing it and removing the carbon I didn't use cartridge filters but that's good to know ty, I was told the cabin goes bad in them so it won't affect the medicine but I would do that just to be sure

Never heard of slicing it and removing the carbon I didn't use cartridge filters but that's good to know ty, I was told the cabin goes bad in them so it won't affect the medicine but I would do that just to be sure
So here's the big question, after all this is over. Do I put in a brand new filter cartridge? I threw out the carbon in the one I have in now

You are cycling a tank so that answer is no, you will cut the material off the old cartridge and pit it in the filter with the new one so you don't lose your beneficial bacteria, others might be more knowledgeable to cartridge and tank cycling as I use aquaclear hob's that are 3 stage that have ceramic cylinders that hold the beneficial bacteria.

You are cycling a tank so that answer is no, you will cut the material off the old cartridge and pit it in the filter with the new one so you don't lose your beneficial bacteria, others might be more knowledgeable to cartridge and tank cycling as I use aquaclear hob's that are 3 stage that have ceramic cylinders that hold the beneficial bacteria.
Well I threw out the carbon because there really was no way to save it. Should I leave that filter in until it is done cycling and then change it again? Oh man what do I do? All of these problems are clashing with one another. It's overwhelming

Well I threw out the carbon because there really was no way to save it. Should I leave that filter in until it is done cycling and then change it again? Oh man what do I do? All of these problems are clashing with one another. It's overwhelming

Yes, leave the old cartridge in, you don't need Carbon till you are all done with your meds.

If you need to rinse the cartridge, use used tank water or dechlorinated tap water. Regular tap water will kill your beneficial bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom