Problems i have

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cbcrash

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 2 75 gallon tanks with fancy goldfish. Both tanks have issues. I have a cloudy eye on a black Moore, torn fins on telescopic eye folded fins, ryukin fin spread open, ryukin fin curled, common zips fast.

In other 75 gallon. Calico fantail yellow belly, white fantail fin on one side deformed, other one fine, chocolate oranda folded fin, fins spread open. All ooofanorange

Can you post more info like water parameters and stock?

Problems I have

My tap water has ammonia in it. Everytime i test ammonia in both tanks I read .25. Nitrite is always 0 in both. Nitrate is usually 20 ppm. I change the water once a week if not more. I have 13 fish total. 9 in a 75. 4 in the other 75. Right now 2 are in my sick tank. I have a 5-6 inch all orange oranda that is in sick tank, he has white on his caudal and dorsal fin, and white on his wen. An all white fantail 5-6 inch with one fin deformed. A chocolate oranda with folded fin and fins open and a calico fantail with a yellow belly. These 4 are usually in together. The other 75 I have, 3 black moore, one with cloudy eye with blood spot behind it, 2 ryukin. One in sick that has swim bladder disorder and swollen abdomen, and the other ryukin has fins spread open. 3 telescopic eye, fins ripped on one, part of tail missing on one with white spot, and one common that zips around the tank but only when scared. All 9 fish are different sizes. From 2 inch to 5 inch. When the filters are running I stir up all the gravel, then I come back to vacuum. I stab the gravel and sweep draining more than half the water. Try to keep live plants but they don't last. Use floral pride. Prime. API aquarium salt, running 2 emperor 400s in one 75 with 3 power heads and 2 bubble walls. In the other 2 power heads; penguin 350 and a 400. Air lines suctioned to the glass to break the surface. I plan on getting an ro filter, cause my PVC pipes are full of gunk. And I don't have any filter under the sink. I fill a bucket with prime and salt. I use buckets to drain tanks, not enough water pressure in my faucet. I tried. And using my spicket on the back of the house made such a mess. So buckets it is. It takes hours to drain both tanks. Hope someone can help

What are you using to test your water (liquid or strips)? What is your ph? How much salt are you adding and why are you adding it? Just so I am clear, you have 9 fish in one tank and 4 in the other? Why do you have them stocked this way?

problems i have

I have an api liquid test kit. Just tested my water from tap and one tank so far, I have very hard water, ph is 8.2, ammonia is .25, nitrite 0 and nitrate 5.0. I add api aquarium salt to help with electrolytes and gill tissue. I add 1 tablespoon to 5 gallons, whatever I take out, I put back in. I have black moores and telescopic eyes together with ryukins and I have my 5 inch fantail and 5 inch oranda with another oranda and calico. The black moores and telescopic eyes are slow swimmers and slow to get food. I have plenty of filtration. I have a penguin 350 and a emperor 400 with 2 power heads and i just bought a fluval 305 for my 9 fish. I have my 2 fish in my sick tank, my ryukin and big orange oranda. Ryukin has sbd and swollen abdomen, and my oranda has white on his fins and tail, which is fin and tail rot.

Ok, bare with me here- I'm trying to do this from cell. Ok, first you need to stop adding salt immediately and do some big water changes. Can you post some pics of the sick fish? Are you in the US or another country?

Ok, the fish turning yellow sounds like normal color change. Calico is not a static color. The ryukin with sb- is he floating or sinking? Are his scales raised? The fish with with white areas- are they spots, patches, slime, fuzz or stringy? Deformed fins are physical trait- there is no treatment for this. The moors eyes sound like they have been burned by salt and/or toxins. They also may be infected (pic would help). Fin rot is a bacterial infection with unhealthy water being the primary culprit. I am probably missing some other fish.

Ok, I know all these issues didn't happen overnight. If you can provide some type of timeframe it would help, too, as well as if you have tried any meds with anyone. Thanks!

problems

i am not gonna stop adding salt, but thanks. I know what im doing

Cbcrash said:
i am not gonna stop adding salt, but thanks. I know what im doing

Obviously, your having a lot of issues here with multiple fish. You asked for help and we are trying to offer it. If you don't want to listen, that's fine. Just keep in mind that chronic exposure to high levels of salt with fw 'freshwater' fish causes a host of health issues including but not limited to permanent nephric, metabolic, renal and endocrine damage and shortened lifespan. Your moors eyes have already been burned and you have alot of sick fish so perhaps you should reconsider what your methodology for the sake of their health and well being.

If you know what your doing then why are you asking for help and all your fish sick? If you listen you probably can turn it around. I would find a new water source quick.

Candiceg said:
If you know what your doing then why are you asking for help and all your fish sick? If you listen you probably can turn it around. I would find a new water source quick.

I agree. Just dumping in salt isn't going to help anything. But i have had success with adding salt in rehabilitating goldfish. May I suggest you visit Kokos Goldfish Forum and ask your question there. They are all about goldfish and may be able to help too.

You cannot force your version of reality on the ecosystem you chose to set up. It will bite you in the @$$ every time. I am not the most expert by any means but I have learned that it is critical to research anything and everything; even so, it can still all crash on you. I will say this... the people here are very knowledgeable and helpful.
I've advanced quickly compared to where I was when I joined and am eager to pay that forward.

I suspect you may be frustrated and understandably so... with the endless bad advice that is everywhere from the Internet to big chain stores trying to sell bala sharks to kids with 10 gallon tanks, you have an opportunity to turn this around for the sake of the living creatures which depend on you, then maybe pass that experience on to others who need it.

Back
Top Bottom