Problems w/ Dwarf Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbarr

Aquarium Advice Freak
So,

My Dwarf Gourami has stringy greenish white feces.
Also, it has a strange growth right next to his right eye, just above it, in the center of it's head.
Yesterday, it was pinkish, today it's more white.
It portrudes just a bit, its sort of remnant of, like, a zit, i suppose.
It appeared after I moved him to my community tank. I thought perhaps it was my tiger oscar or green terror who hurt him, but I'm not sure if this growth is from trauma, or what.

Here is a picture
picture017pn7.jpg

I'm sorry, I know they are horrible, but I thought it may be better than nothing.

any help is appreciated

How long has he been in the community tank? I would QT him and treat for internal parasites which the poo would indicate and keep the water pristine.

Does the spot that is whitish look cottony at all? It may be from trauma, I can't tell from the pics.

No, it is not cottony at all.

It looks like a tiny dot of pink silly putty was stuck on him.

Also, his coloration seems a little off;
He seems darker then when he was in my 10gal. His fin is constantly jutted upwards too, something he didn't do in my 10gal.

I added him into the community about a week ago maybe.

The injury showed up on monday-tuesday.

What should I use to treat the parasites?

Pimafix? Melafix?

I added about 1 tsp of salt for every 3 gal in my community tank already.

Any help appreciated

It could be parasitic. What would explain the green fecal matter is the parasite is absorbing large amounts of protien from your fish and the lack of protien would turn the fecal matter green just as it does in humans. I suggest that you add about a 1mg of salt/gallon of water, as well as lowering the amount of protien foods you give your gourami.

I added melafix to my tank.
A day later it has developed into a nasty cause of popeye.

Uuugh is it ever ugly. Makes me wince.

Whats the deal?? Is my water quality bad?? My oscar in the same tank went through a case of popeye, but not this bad.

Wow it's just.. hideous... Poor gourami...

EDIT: He also has a red sore on his seemingly over-inflated belly...

Wow, this is the worst case I've seen on any fish... But that's not saying much, I'm still much an amateur.

I just finished having the same experience with my dwarf gourami, he did not make it. It started just like your picture then more spots became apparent. I believe it was hole in the head disease. I added salt, did water changes and have been treating the tank with melafix. Unfortunately, my female GBR now has a spot on her head...I'm starting to get worried...

in my experience gouramis are notorious fro getting mysterious ulcers and growths... ( i have kept 3 gouramis and 2 have died from such things...)

for internal parasites i have heard a couple member have had good results with GelTek Ultra Cure PX i am currently using it to fight possible IP in my DP and Angel... this is my first time using it...:?

the trick is you have to get them to injest the meds...

Back
Top Bottom