Problems with Foxtail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tkos

Aquarium Advice Addict
My foxtail seems to be growing okay and is not dropping its needles but it has lost its wonderful green colour and is now a dull green/brown colour. Is this because I am lacking nutrients or is it generally a sign of too low of light levels. My tank has 2.6 watts per gallon, the foxtail is planted in a claypot with soil covered in gravel. I use an iron rich fert once a week. No CO2 due to small tank size, though I am getting some Flourish Excel soon.

the dull green/brown is actually a redish color that foxtail turns when it's getting plentiful light.

Has yours lost a lot of "volume"? mine has thinned out considerablly from how I bought it from the lfs, probably because what they sold me was above-water or bog growth, not submerged growth.

The volume of the plant is the same and there is actually new growth upwards as well. It has turned more of a beige colour than a red colour. I have seen red foxtail as well but I looked it up and they are different plants.

Mine does that too, and grows like crazy, I swear I have to clip it twice a week. No idea on the color change, except mine is only reddish brown at the top of the water, couple inches down it stays bright green. I do have co2 in the tank, and plenty of light. See what happens when you get the Flourish excell, that may put it back the way you prefer it.

Thanks for the responses. I am hoping the excell does the trick. I am also hoping that it will help with the extra algae that is starting.

Back
Top Bottom