Problems with Guppies staying at surface!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shiina107

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello, let me start with background information on the tank: it is a 10 Gallon planted tank with a Fluval Nano filter(10-15 gallons). The tank's inhabitants are as follows: 1 Dwarf Honey gourami, 2 zebra danios, 3 male guppies.

When i first started the tank a few months ago, the tanks readings came back normal and i began the tank with a single male guppy. The guppy was very active its first few days at home but quickly became lethargic. It stopped eating and hung out near the surface, it's physical appearance almost looked different like skinnier. After several days of refusing to eat, the fish passed. I bought 2 zebra danios and another male cobra guppy about 3 weeks later. My tank had a few plants in it at this point. They all THRIVED. The danios are very active, always darting around with eachother, and the guppy was always all over the tank. Exploring and picking around for food. Things were going so well for about 2 weeks so i decided, hey, let's get more! I capped my tank by getting a dwarf honey gourami and 2 more male guppies. It has been about a week since then, and the gourami is doing absolutely incredibly, very alert and a very voracious eater always exploring the tank for any morsel of food it can find! haha! However... All 3 of my guppies have been acting very strange...

The blue cobra guppy i got with the danios has began to stay near the surface and has began to refuse food. My other 2 guppies (from a different store) have also began imitating his behavior :/ i am at a loss for words and extremely panicked. In addition to this, my guppies are occasionally "shimmying", perhaps they are stressed for some reason?

My Nitrates are 10 ppm, Nitrites 0, pH at 8.0... My other fish are thriving, why are my guppies not? The tank now is heavily planted with good flow, and i will provide any other information anyone may want. I have SCOURED the internet for the past 3 hours looking for some clue..after so many dead ends, and no answers to my questions, i decided to create an account here and post for myself. I want to save these fish more than anything, please give me any answer! Thank you... If you need any other information please let me know, i will be more than happy to give anything i can.

Last edited:
My ammonia is at 0 so I just can’t tell what on earth is wrong with them...

Sounds like either a water quality issue or not enough oxygen in the water......but you are saying those things aren't an issue. Maybe try adding airstones for more surface agitation.

I re-added an airstone and the guppies have strayed from the surface, however one passed unfortunately :( my water is fairly soft so I am starting to think that the guppies are not doing well for that reason. I did a fair bit of reading and they seem to prefer water that is quite hard so perhaps that is my issue. I will cease buying guppies until I for sure know what the issue is, but i will update the thread on my other 2! Thank you King for replying and offering your help!

So your pH is high but your water is soft? What is your GH and KH?

You might try using an HOB filter. You can still run the airstones as well.

Same - check gh and kh. If not from disease then shimmy in live bearers can be from soft water, a poison in the water (eg driftwood leaching) or some meds. Kh / gh would be first to check and adding so crushed coral may help.

Back
Top Bottom