Product Question! Need Opinions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JourReve08

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all! Just wondering, what are your favorite fish health products? I'm new to the game and a little overwhelmed will all of the products on the market. For conditioner I've been using Tetra Aquasafe Plus but ran out so I switched to API Stress Coat, simply because it was a few dollars cheaper. What do you all use/prefer? In terms of illness prevention and treatment I'm been using Pimafix and Melafix because they are safe for inverts but they don't seem to be any more effective than frequent water changes, but the guy at my LFS swears by them. I'm not so sure. Today I picked up some aquarium salt to help heal some nipped fins on my betta and cherry barbs, pink gills on my corys, and a hole in the head of my platy. What is the deal with salt? There seem to be a lot of mixed opinions! Also, experiences with Tetra Lifeguard? I've decided to use the tabs in my quarantine tank (with the platy). I also use a small dose of Prime in all three of my tanks about once a week. I'd love to hear any and all opinions on these products and others! Please share!! :thanks:

You will find overwhelmingly that most people opt for Prime. More bang for your buck! Melafix, in my opinion, doesnt do anymore than lots of healthy water. I have a lengthy post on here somewhere with the science behind its ingredients and the fact is, none are scientifically proven to do anything. Lifeguard falls into the same category.

In respect to salt, there are numerous discussions and opinions in respect its use. It has cetain medicinal benefits when appropriately in certain situations (for example, treating ich in goldfish at a .3-.5% salinity). I dont believe its appropriate for use with fw fish beyond treatment purposes but everyone has differing opinions. Do your research and form your opinion.

Prophylactic meds are another topic of debate as well. They are appropriate for certain situations but I would have to say that for most hobbiests, simply following strict quarantine practices with lots of healthy water is the safest bet. If an illness issue does arise, then treat appropriately and start quarantine again once the fish is healthy.Heres one salt article- give me a minute and Ill post AA's most recent salt debate. :)

http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/salt

Back
Top Bottom