Pronounced Bump on Black Moor Now Outlined in Red...HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArtesiaWells

Aquarium Advice Addict
Our beloved Black Moor -- who has gone from jet-black with the velvety scales as a youngster when we bought her to now a stunning dark gold color with just black rear tails -- has all of a sudden developed a lump beneath one of her forward fins that today is now outlined in red, looking like a "pimple" or "cyst" of some kind. Her eating has not been affected, nor has her behavior from what we can see (i.e. she's acting like herself)...from the research I have done, this could be a PLETHORA of things, from an internal parasite that is coming out to a sign of flukes to a damage from rubbing against something to a reaction to poor water or food...

If it is the diet, well, then only me and my wife can be blamed for that, as we have been feeding what we feel is the only food the fancies seem to enjoy, which is flakes and up until recently when we bought the Omega One flakes just not of that "premium quality" to not put too fine a point on it. Further, I don't see how this can be a water quality issue, as I have been keeping on top of a rigorous water change schedule, doing the 50% weekly but sometimes doing a few more during the week on top of that -- the water is clear and always smells good/clean...

Could this be from something building up in the substrate that I haven't vacuumed? Is this from diet? I really don't want to get into antibiotic treatments or medicines of any kind, as I went down this road before with Maracyn and other stuff which didn't help the last two goldies I lost and I don't want to start guessing and dosing with salt and all that not knowing what we're up against...

I just checked on her in the tank again, and while still being herself in behavior, this bump -- which appears as a whitehead would on us -- I think has become even more pronounced...

Any suggestions?

I was going to attempt another 50% (approx.) water change right now (did one yesterday) and perhaps a deep gravel vacuuming incase that's where some bacteria came from which may have gotten into the Moor's scales/system; should I attempt this now or does this not sound like it would be a worthwhile solution?

Water changes are always a good idea. Can you possibly post a pic of what you are seeing as well as your parameters? Do any other fish have any odd symptoms? A pic would be the most helpful here.

Water changes are always a good idea. Can you possibly post a pic of what you are seeing as well as your parameters? Do any other fish have any odd symptoms? A pic would be the most helpful here.

Thanks, Jessica...

I just did a 10% water change while vacuuming, but now it seems the Moor has developed a second spot/lump right next to the other one, which is inflamed enormously now -- it actually looks like a human pimple/whitehead jutting out...

I'll work on the pics...:(

I haven't taken parameter readings, but as for any other fish showing symptoms, the Moor is the only one -- my wife had recalled and reminded me of a time when our small common orange fantail had developed a bump like this in the 10 gallon and it went away on its own...

It wasn't as pronounced as the Moor's, though, not nearly...

I would try to keep her water as clean as you can, do some research and try to find out what it might be. I am a black moor owner myself and I absolutely adore the little beauties. I hope yours gets better soon! :)

I would try to keep her water as clean as you can, do some research and try to find out what it might be. I am a black moor owner myself and I absolutely adore the little beauties. I hope yours gets better soon! :)

Thank you, Sniffy! Actually, I meant to do an update to this thread; the Moor's pimple symptom has actually disappeared as quickly as it showed up...really, really weird...it was almost as if it "popped" and healed...

BUT -- I did do small water changes for a few days in a row, so I'm sure that helped her heal...;)

BTW, welcome to Aquarium Advice!

Do you have any pictures of your Moor(s)? I'd love to see them! (y) :thanks:

(Unfortunate) UPDATE:

Well, it seems my Moor has begun yet another sign of yet another "lump" of some kind coming from her side, through the scales; like with the other one that disappeared on its own, it seems to be getting bigger by the hour...I just don't understand what these are...is this a growth spurt symptom? There have been NO changes in eating, habits, swimming or any signs of sickness...no other goldfish in the tank show any signs of anything...

I did a 50% water change this morning and then removed and replaced 15 gallons on top of that this evening (due to a great deal of redecorating in the tank in which I needed to lower the water level so I didn't make a mess; this tank is TALL)...so this should aid in keeping the water clean for her at least for now (water was, of course, treated with Prime during both exchanges)...

Why does this keep happening to this Moor in particular...and why did, the last time she showed these "giant pimple" signs, this just go away on its own as abruptly as it came? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom