PUFFER STUCK IN WHISPER INTAKE EMERGENCY!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kukerdan

Aquarium Advice Activist
i put my puffer in my 20 last night because he had a film over his eye, and i wanted to treat him in a smaller tank, and not have him picked on.
Because any sign of weakness means death in the 90

The whisper 15 that i have running in my 20 just to get it going right now, well
the intake cover thing was loose, and it fell off... puff puff went right up the tube. he is still alive, but you know how these intake tubes are, two 90 degree angles and than that weird plastic and metal peice that goes into the motor......... does this come off the tube? is there any way to get him out without breaking it... i turned off the filter and sunk the intake in the tank hoping he will swim out....any ideas???!?!??!

It depends on how "stuck" he is. Is it a clear tube? Can you see how far up he is lodged into the tube? You might try taking the opposite end that he is closest to and try to blow into it very steadily but gently. Keep the tube in the water while doing this. Try not to get alot of air in the tube. It will help if the tube is full of water when blowing, as this will create a current from your forcing the water to go out of the tube, and he might come out. I did this with a gourami once. Same thing happened - he was stuck in the intake tube, I held the tube under the water, stuck my mouth almost to the waterline of the tank, and gently blew into the tube. The current was enough to blow him out. He was stunned for a few minutes, but he's lived happily ever after.
Keep us posted.
HTH
-Stewie

well thats the thing, theres an attachment on one end of the tube, and i dont know if it comes off

I believe the attachment does come off (*edit: Just checked a schematic, it does, quite completely.)...take it off and, holding the intake tube low over the aquarium water, wrap your lips around the attachment and and blow.

you will need to place a sponge over the intake, or it will happen again. The puffer will sleep, literally, at night, and he will get pulled in to the intake.

he died :cry:

I did put a proper filter, lid , light, heater, and airstone in the tank today, it has a whisper 20 now, and there wont be any more mishaps like this in the future

Sorry to hear this kukerdan. It must have been a frightening death. But at least now have the proper equipment so this scenario won't happen again.

Back
Top Bottom