Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-05-2017, 01:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Pygmy Cories dying after move to new tank

First, I apologize for the long post. I will try to give as much info as I can to see if anyone can give me advice.

I have had a planted 6.6 gallon bookshelf aquarium setup for 2.5 years with 5 pygmy cories and a betta. My cories were doing so well that they grew to a group of 10. So when my betta passed a few months ago I decided to leave them alone in the tank.

My four year old begged for a new betta and so I chose to upgrade to a 20 gallon long to give everyone room to roam. About 3 weeks ago a moved in new sand, all of my plants and decor(plus some new ones), my filter media, etc to the new tank. I had a tiny cycle for about 2 days before my parameters settled at: Ammonia: 0, Nitrite: 0, Nitrate: 10-20. So I added the betta and continued to monitor the levels, which stayed steady with only nitrates going up to a solid 20. I added a few more plants.

Then I decided to add a snail and 2 ghost shrimp and things went downhill. I added them on Thursday and on Saturday I noticed one of my catfish, who had looked a little stressed from the move, now had a slightly orangish-red tint. I thought I was seeing things until i found her on Sunday floating vertically in a corner. She would swim for a minute or two normally but then float back to the top corner. She was definitely red around the belly. She died that evening. The next day I checked the levels and all were the same; normal. Only now a few of my catfish had reddish tints to their bellies. I looked into it and it sounded like a bacterial infection that could wipe them all out quickly.

Against my better judgement I decided to add antibiotics. I still had a pack of Maracyn 2 and decided to dose the entire tank to try to save some of them. Now 2 days into the treatment I found another dead cory with a red belly. I now also have a tiny bit, less than 0.25, of nitrites, and only 5 nitrates due to my good bacteria dying off. I also have lots of algae now. I know I need to finish to dose or risk an even worse bacteria. In the meantime I added a little Prime to try to help them feel better. Is there anything else I can do to help my poor fish? Also what should I do in the future if such a thing should happen? Now I am probably going lose my poor fish, who were doing just fine until I decided to move them, and my new tank is going to crash :/ I feel so terrible for my sweet little catfish.

Old 09-07-2017, 12:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Remember Cories are scaleless fish. Many meds are half dose for them.

I'm so sorry to hear this. I love Cories, but esp the tiny species.

I'm no expert on meds. I usually do lots of water changes. Or set up a hospital tank.

Could the new Betta have attacked them ? I had a Betta that killed Cories.

Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:54 PM   #3

Thanks! That is good to know about the medications; I was unaware of that!

I am fairly sure that the Betta hasn't been attacking them. They swim and eat together, and the Betta doesn't even notice the ghost shrimp. He only seems to flare at his own reflection. He is very curious and explores every single plant and cave but has never seemed aggressive at all.

Thankfully no other fish have died since I started the meds. They do seem to be hiding and less active. Some still seem slightly orange-red in color with clamped fins and slightly cloudy looking eyes. I added some almond leaves and today is the last day of meds. I am hoping a good water change will help; as well as getting my beneficial bacteria built back up. So far I have lucked out that even with my good bacterial dying my ammonia and nitrites are at 0. I am really hoping that I won't loose any other fish and it was just the stress of moving to a new tank bringing on something dormant in those 2 fish.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:58 PM   #4

I spoke too soon! Another one has died. I took pictures this time. I am so heartbroken. I love these little guys and they were so happy in the little tank. I thought I was doing something good by upgrading them but instead I somehow introduced something that is killing them!

Here is the poor little guy, he is more red than the previous two were I am also including a picture of one of the other fish from last night with clamped fins, she does not look red though. I am at a total loss, I have no idea what is going on. I was treating for Septicemia but it does not appear to be helping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0320.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	303538   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0326.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	303539  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0297.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	303540  
Old 09-07-2017, 02:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Had a similar inciden after changing gravel types. An overwhelming bacteria plague. At this point a decision has to be made, meds or natural. With meds. Might save some fish, some will die. The BB will be crushed resulting in a start from ground zero situation. Going natural, meaning a solid week of partial WC's, maybe salt, results, might save some fish, others will die." The BB survives." I chose the natural method and saved about 50% of the fish.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:52 PM   #6

I wonder if there is any chance that the generic sand I bought is too rough on them and that is the cause. Could they be getting scratched up by the new sand? If so that is what I get for being cheap! It will not be fun if I have to tear everything down again to put in new sand and disinfect everything. If only I knew what was wrong so I could at least stabilize things.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I doubt the sand is hurting them. In those South American creeks and rivers the Cory cats originate from I 'm certain they encounter all kinds of abrasive substrate
Old 09-07-2017, 03:56 PM   #8

Ok, thanks! I would feel even worse if it was the sand. Now if only I could figure out what is wrong. Thanks to my levels going wonky from the meds I have fuzzy white stuff all over everything, especially my moss. I might pull out the moss and buy more after everything is better.

I think I will finish the meds tonight and then try the simple clean water approach. I am going to check my levels again tonight. Last I checked my nitrates were down to 0. So I will probably have to wind up ordering an active sponge filter to re-cycle the tank quickly.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:01 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

What temp ?

Sorry for the losses
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:23 PM   #10

I try to keep it at 78, right now it measures 79.

Tags
cories, dyi, dying, move, new tank, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com