Pygmy Cories dying after move to new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afterwinter

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
First, I apologize for the long post. I will try to give as much info as I can to see if anyone can give me advice.

I have had a planted 6.6 gallon bookshelf aquarium setup for 2.5 years with 5 pygmy cories and a betta. My cories were doing so well that they grew to a group of 10. So when my betta passed a few months ago I decided to leave them alone in the tank.

My four year old begged for a new betta and so I chose to upgrade to a 20 gallon long to give everyone room to roam. About 3 weeks ago a moved in new sand, all of my plants and decor(plus some new ones), my filter media, etc to the new tank. I had a tiny cycle for about 2 days before my parameters settled at: Ammonia: 0, Nitrite: 0, Nitrate: 10-20. So I added the betta and continued to monitor the levels, which stayed steady with only nitrates going up to a solid 20. I added a few more plants.

Then I decided to add a snail and 2 ghost shrimp and things went downhill. I added them on Thursday and on Saturday I noticed one of my catfish, who had looked a little stressed from the move, now had a slightly orangish-red tint. I thought I was seeing things until i found her on Sunday floating vertically in a corner. She would swim for a minute or two normally but then float back to the top corner. She was definitely red around the belly. She died that evening. The next day I checked the levels and all were the same; normal. Only now a few of my catfish had reddish tints to their bellies. I looked into it and it sounded like a bacterial infection that could wipe them all out quickly.

Against my better judgement I decided to add antibiotics. I still had a pack of Maracyn 2 and decided to dose the entire tank to try to save some of them. Now 2 days into the treatment I found another dead cory with a red belly. I now also have a tiny bit, less than 0.25, of nitrites, and only 5 nitrates due to my good bacteria dying off. I also have lots of algae now. I know I need to finish to dose or risk an even worse bacteria. In the meantime I added a little Prime to try to help them feel better. Is there anything else I can do to help my poor fish? Also what should I do in the future if such a thing should happen? Now I am probably going lose my poor fish, who were doing just fine until I decided to move them, and my new tank is going to crash :/ I feel so terrible for my sweet little catfish.

Remember Cories are scaleless fish. Many meds are half dose for them.

I'm so sorry to hear this. I love Cories, but esp the tiny species.

I'm no expert on meds. I usually do lots of water changes. Or set up a hospital tank.

Could the new Betta have attacked them ? I had a Betta that killed Cories.

Thanks! That is good to know about the medications; I was unaware of that!

I am fairly sure that the Betta hasn't been attacking them. They swim and eat together, and the Betta doesn't even notice the ghost shrimp. He only seems to flare at his own reflection. He is very curious and explores every single plant and cave but has never seemed aggressive at all.

Thankfully no other fish have died since I started the meds. They do seem to be hiding and less active. Some still seem slightly orange-red in color with clamped fins and slightly cloudy looking eyes. I added some almond leaves and today is the last day of meds. I am hoping a good water change will help; as well as getting my beneficial bacteria built back up. So far I have lucked out that even with my good bacterial dying my ammonia and nitrites are at 0. I am really hoping that I won't loose any other fish and it was just the stress of moving to a new tank bringing on something dormant in those 2 fish.

:( I spoke too soon! Another one has died. I took pictures this time. I am so heartbroken. I love these little guys and they were so happy in the little tank. I thought I was doing something good by upgrading them but instead I somehow introduced something that is killing them!

Here is the poor little guy, he is more red than the previous two were :( I am also including a picture of one of the other fish from last night with clamped fins, she does not look red though. I am at a total loss, I have no idea what is going on. I was treating for Septicemia but it does not appear to be helping.

Attachments

• IMG_0320.jpg
    IMG_0320.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0326.jpg
    IMG_0326.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0297.jpg
    IMG_0297.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 88
Had a similar inciden after changing gravel types. An overwhelming bacteria plague. At this point a decision has to be made, meds or natural. With meds. Might save some fish, some will die. The BB will be crushed resulting in a start from ground zero situation. Going natural, meaning a solid week of partial WC's, maybe salt, results, might save some fish, others will die." The BB survives." I chose the natural method and saved about 50% of the fish.

I wonder if there is any chance that the generic sand I bought is too rough on them and that is the cause. Could they be getting scratched up by the new sand? If so that is what I get for being cheap! It will not be fun if I have to tear everything down again to put in new sand and disinfect everything. If only I knew what was wrong so I could at least stabilize things.

I doubt the sand is hurting them. In those South American creeks and rivers the Cory cats originate from I 'm certain they encounter all kinds of abrasive substrate

Ok, thanks! I would feel even worse if it was the sand. Now if only I could figure out what is wrong. Thanks to my levels going wonky from the meds I have fuzzy white stuff all over everything, especially my moss. I might pull out the moss and buy more after everything is better.

I think I will finish the meds tonight and then try the simple clean water approach. I am going to check my levels again tonight. Last I checked my nitrates were down to 0. So I will probably have to wind up ordering an active sponge filter to re-cycle the tank quickly.

Thanks! That does sound like it could be the problem.

So far I have read different diseases it could be and some are bacterial, some are fungal, and some are parasitic. Some of my corys look ok and others are still hiding with clamped fins. It is so hard to know what the problem is for sure and they are so small that I can't see them well enough.

So I can try to take another guess with meds or I can cycle my tank again and try the natural clean water approach and hope for the best. :/ I am not sure which to do.

Honestly it's probably gonna be about the same either way IMHO either way you're gonna lose fish. I would just be afraid that if I didn't medicate I could lose all of them. Idk tho the only corys I have experience with are the emerald corys.

I bought 3 about 3 years ago and in my 20gal they bred til there were 11. I completely changed substrate about 4 months ago and none died, but they haven't bred since then. They still act normal and show no signs of illness or stress and I even rehomed 3 to a friend of mine, but I've never dealt with pygmy. So I guess that experience isn't really helpful :(

Please post how it goes. I love corys and am very interested in how this story plays out. Good luck <3 wish i was more help

Thanks :) I love these little guys and I feel terrible they are sick. I had fish when I was younger but luckily only ever had to deal with very obvious things like ich.

Does anyone have suggestions on meds I could/should try? Could I use an anti-parasite and an anti-fungal together? I would love to get this sorted out as quickly as possible. Luckily I have a number of shops near me where I can probably find any kind of meds I need.

Ugh, now they have stringy poop too. I am hoping this tank is not a total loss. Am I going to have to bleach everything and start over? Or will any meds that help also rid the entire tank of anything bad?

search stringy poo in the forum. Lots of good info in here. I just went through this info with a friend that's not on this forum. She used meds. Lemme see if I can find a link...

Well it has been 8 days since the last fish passed and I am knocking on wood that it was just the stress of moving to a new tank. I went to my LFS and talked to the owner who advised me to just keep up clean water and wait it out.

Since my beneficial bacteria died I decided I may as well upgrade my filter and also ordered an active sponge filter from Angels Plus. So now I am waiting to see what happens. It has been 2 days and all of my levels are still just about 0. There is maybe just a hint of ammonia though it is really hard to tell.

Unfortunately my Betta hates the new filter. I have it on low; though it does have a stronger current than my old one. He considers it a mortal enemy and has spent 3 days flaring at it and stalking it and refusing to move out of the current. So now his fins are all shredded and I think I am going to have to setup my old 6.6 just for him. I never would have imagined he would be so stressed over a filter. So what started as the simple idea to give my fish more space has turned into quite the adventure.

You can buy some bulk filter pad or cut open a stock new one if its what you have, tuck the pad into the inside edge of the out flow area and let it hang out on top (or whereever it sets and it will help reduce the power of the flow out of the filter. If you use bulk pad I cut the tucking in part to fit the width inside of the filter and cut the part that hangs out like a fan shape - really reduces the impact of the water.

Also the fish is not very strong and will get stronger as he has time to swim and build muscle. They do not get hardly any exercise in those cups really in terms of swimming muscles.

I would do a few pwc more frequently than normal for a few more weeks.

Possibly the Cories just need clean water and more recovery time. When disturbing the substrate it is possible there was a spike in NirIte and I have read there can be detrimental effects at around 3 weeks after the incident due to internal damage the fish experience when the event happens.

Are you using test strips or liquid test kit and is it expired?

You can buy some bulk filter pad or cut open a stock new filter cartridge if its what you have, tuck the pad into the inside edge of the out flow area and let it hang out on top (or whereever it sets and it will help reduce the power of the flow out of the filter.

If you use bulk pad I cut the tucking in part to fit the width inside of the filter and cut the part that hangs out like a fan shape - really reduces the impact of the water.

Also the fish is not very strong and will get stronger as he has time to swim and build muscle. They do not get hardly any exercise in those cups really in terms of swimming muscles.

I would do a few pwc more frequently than normal for a few more weeks.

Possibly the Cories just need clean water and more recovery time. When disturbing the substrate it is possible there was a spike in NirIte and I have read there can be detrimental effects at around 3 weeks after the incident due to internal damage the fish experience when the event happens.

Are you using test strips or liquid test kit and is it expired?

Back
Top Bottom