Qt question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flossie

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I got some fish and qt them bc they were from PetSmart I have had them in the qt tank a couple weeks however the tank has been cycling with them in there... I've been doing PWC and am now using ammo neutralizer and salt. Anywho I am noticing a little black on them I know it's probably ammo burns but I read it could be the start of fin rot. I have a 55 that's almost cycled and will be their perm home. My question is should i move them to the 55 as soon as it's cycled or should i leave them in he qt a couple more weeks!? I've got nitrates in the qt tank and the ammo and nitrite are finally coming down. I did 2 PWC today and 2 yesterday. Should I treat them with something to make sure it's not a bacterial infection!? For future... How can I keep my qt/ hospital tank cycled so I'm not putting so much stress on my fish?? I thought about putting some melafix bc I hear it was good for ammo plus it would help if it's finrot but I figured that would kill the cycle... So ive just been doing pwc and salt.

The best thing I've found to do when setting up a QT is to use some cycled filter media from an established tank, to help it cycle instantly. I actually keep extra sponge filters running in established tanks just for this reason.

I wouldn't medicate them for bacterial infections unless you are sure thats what the issue is. What do you mean by 'black on them'? Where on them?

The white goldfish has just barely a black mark on the edge of the fin the other has it on his body but it's hard to know on the other bc he has black coloring anyway... My established tank hasn't been going for a very long time. I've used some Water from it and tried to squeeze some media from the filters... I think I just added to much to soon. 2 baby goldfish... I've got probably but ive probably got 30g worth of filtration on there... I'm scared of spreading something or loosing the cycle on my cichlid tank...

I may leave them in another two weeks since the tank has been cycling with them in it... Grrr

Back
Top Bottom