QT set up - What do you use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fbonneville

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've not found it if this has already been done but what would you recommend to someone to have a QT? A 10 gallon with biowheel and lighting? A tupperware tub? How often do you change the water? Does it matter if you have it cycled?

I'm researching how to best set up a QT, economically and functionally and any input is appreciated.

Depends on what the purpose is, at least IMO. I would never suggest someone set up a tank and add fish without cycling, but in an emergency 'hospital' tank where a disease is being treated, daily water changes are pretty much a necessity. So, if you're setting up to treat a disease, I don't see a need to cycle since you're going to be doing daily water changes anyways. That's my take on it.

Thanks MFD,

What about a QT for bringing home new fish and possibly plants?

I dont qt plants. I know some people do, but I just rinse them off real good and acclimate them to the tank.

As far as a qt for new arrivals, you definitely want a cycled tank for that. Running a small filter on your main tank, or having a filter that you can pull some media out of will work good for that. No need doing the whole fishless cycle route. I know some people run a small HOB on one of their tanks so that if the need arises, they just set up the qt, add the filter, then bring home their new fish.

Back
Top Bottom