QT tank how to?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big C

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys,

I'd like to start a QT tank. I was thinking of buying a small (15 gal) tank a filter and a heater and get it started. I thought I'd put the filter in my tank and let it work there for a week or two (or more?) and use the water from a PWC to start.

Are these good ideas? What else should I do to cycle it?

Thank you!

you might want to consider a bigger QT.. just in case you need it..
if your going to put your filter on your tank it would only take a day or to in a extablished tank to get it up and going.. you will need something to live in the QT to keep the tank cycled though like some black mollys or something..

Thanks, greenmagi. What do you do with the mollys (or something else) when you have to put a new fish or "sicky" in the QT to medicate?

I keep a 10 gallon quarantine/hospital tank and it has proved to be big enough so far. I like that size because most dosages for medications are based on 10 gallons and it is easy to break down to clean. I use a sponge filter (you don't want a filter with charcoal because a lot of meds require the removal of charcoal) and since I have sponge filters in several of my tanks I can just take one of the sponges from an established tank and put it in the quarantine tank. You also need a heater for the quarantine tank as well as some plastic plants and other decorations to make the fish feel comfortable. You don't want any substrate in the tank because it makes it more difficult to clean.

I think you are ok with a 15 gallon. Although if I were you I would just get a heater and small spongefilter and use your existing aquarium water to cycle it. You could even fill the aquarium with water of equal PH to your current aquarium and let the sponge filter soak then place it in the QT.

QT is for watching new fish before you put them in your main tank(s).. Hospital Tank is for sick fish.. do you plan on getting a tank for both? if you treat all illnesses in your QT tank it being cycled will become a waste of time eventually when you end up having to used meds that kill the bacteria in the filter.. maybe you need a small hospital tank as well?

The 10-15 gal tank is enough. Like it's been said before, just get a heater, sponge filter, hood, and basic light set. Bare bottom. What I'm doing is putting the filter in my 150 gal tank. Then whenever the QT is needed, just take the filter out of the 150 gal, fill up the tank with old tank water, and put the fish in. If I'm Qting fish from the 10 or 29 gal, I use the water from those tanks since the 150 has a higher pH from cc.

If you're really worried about losing bacteria from meds, just get 2 sponge filters. They are relatively cheap (under $10) and use them both in your main tank until you need them. That way if you kill the bacteria from meds and need the tank right away again, you have a backup. But, to me that's unnecessary.

Well the tank is in now in my home office, with very little substrate, just enough to hold the plastic plants, a thermometer, and a heater.

I got an aquaclear mini filter and I have it running in my 30 gal. How long do I need to keep it there to "collect good bugs" so it helps me cycling my QT?

What else should I do?

Now I'm concerned that this is NOT going to work! Having an empty tank running is such a waste!!! I'm gonna have to do something with it... may be a guppy or two, a molly or two, or just a few, 8-10 rummynose??????? :oops: Just typing out loud! :lol:

Big C said:
Having an empty tank running is such a waste!!! I'm gonna have to do something with it... may be a guppy or two, a molly or two, or just a few, 8-10 rummynose
LOL! that is why I keep mine dry.

Just keep the filter in your main tank until you need the QT. Otherwise when you have to QT a fish, you'll have to move the fish that are in the QT into another tank, then back into the QT. If you just take the established filter and put it on the QT without fish, the bacteria will die. When you need to QT, fill up the tank with dechlorinated water, put the filter on the tank, and pop in the fish.

One thing I don't understand about hospital tanks is that if you notice a sick fish isn't it too late? I mean aren't the other fish already exposed? I want to get a 10 gal for QT and hospital use too. I don't ever want to put my community through the ICH again! How long do you keep a new fish in QT?

I'd keep them in QT for about 2 weeks.

And not all diseases will spread to other fish. For example, if you notice that an imparticular fish is losing color quickly, then put him in the hospital tank. This may just be an internal parasite and instead of treating all the fish, you are only treating the sick one. Plus, if the fish is weak, it will prevent him from getting picked on by the other fish.

In reality.. all I neded was a bucket, a thermometer and a sponge filter! Now I'm gonna have to do someting with that 10 gal! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom