QT Tank. PLEASE READ!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hsherman1986

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Everyone needs one!! Please guys, if you have fish, you should have and use a QT tank. a 10g is fine, and can be set up for under $100. Don't get antzy about adding your new fish to your tank, please QT them first to make sure they don't have any diseases that could KILL the fish you have already!

I just lost my ENTIRE pack of clown loaches to ich because I did not use a QT tank on some new rainbows. These fish (the loaches) cost me $10-$14 each. I had 9. I lost them because of 6 fish that were $2 each that I did not QT first. They brought ich into the tank.

And its not just the money that is involved. These were my PETS!! I have had 2 of them for over six months (considering I have only had my tank a year, that is a long time for me), and they were almost 4" long. They had personalities. They would come eat out of my fingers. They would come to the front of the tank to pose for the camera every time I was taking pictures. And now they are gone, and it is my fault.

I am in tears as I write this to you guys, please, please, please, if you care about your fish, invest in a QT tank. It doesn't take up too much space, and is well worth it in the end. I have learned my lesson. Please don't make the same mistake I did...

RIP guys, I will miss each and every one of you dearly...

Oh no!! I am so, so sorry for your loss. :cry: You poor thing. I'm so sad for you and your clowns. They are such great fish and really do have distinctive personalities. I know how you feel; I cried when I lost mine in December.

Hugs to you hsherman.

Agreed. The fish I brought in last weekend gave my whole tank ich. I'm fighting it, so we'll see what happens. The carrier fish, a Boesemani Rainbow, passed away last night.

QT, while a hassle, I think is a must to save you larger hassles later. Ive learned my lesson

as have I. I actually have one clown loach left, he seems to be trying really hard to fight it. I don't know if he will make it or not, I guess we will see. I have a qt tank cycling now, and will use it to restock my clown loaches. It will be one at a time, as I am very picky about them, but I will get my clown loaches back.

Sorry for the loses!

I have saved clowns thru ich and lost clowns thru ich also. The ones that I lost, I subjected to salt or meds but the heat treatment works wonders and has never killed one of my loaches!!

It seemed really stupid to me at 1st but the heat treatment works wonders!!

I am probably repeating another's advice but at first sign raise temp to 88-89 and leave it there 2 weeks after last of spots. Those that have the ich will look horrible for maybe a day but the heat speeds up the ich to the point where it does not seem to attach to the gills, cause rapid breathing and eventually suffocate the fish. Your loaches and most other fish will live quite well thru the heat and are certain to die otherwise.

I am also about to set up a QT.

Yea, i did turn up the heat at the first signs, but my heater stalled out at 84* which made matters worse (see my other thread "help please"). I added another heater and got the heat up to 89*, but it was too late for most. One is still hanging on. Poor guy is covered, but he is still kicking, he won't give up. I really hope he pulls through this. He wasn't looking good yesterday, I was sure he was not going to make it, but just looked over there and saw him flittering around like he normally does. I guess time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom