Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-21-2005, 12:43 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

QT tank question

Ok you have your fish in qt and he gets better so you reintroduce him back into your tank..What about the qt tank? DO you dump the water and its diseased contents? what about the sponge filter?

Old 04-21-2005, 12:58 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to megladonsharky Send a message via MSN to megladonsharky Send a message via Yahoo to megladonsharky
great ?? hope an expert comes and helps

3-4 gallon with 80gph ... Planted lightly three white clouds ( Birtha Clara and Delila) and some snails (mainly melodys snacks)

9 gallon with 130gph , heated with male betta (Trafalger RIP)Kaden ( a male betta)has moved in, pygmy cory (MaMa) , pitbull pleco(Metal), three preacox rainbows( Annabel, Glitter and Mondo) and various snails...
megladonsharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 12:59 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to kagentx
i don't think there will be any use for the diseased water unless you want to treat another fish from the same tank with the same disease. Otherwise the water should be dumped, rinsed the tank with hot water and let it sit for awhile with the sponge filter in it.
Old 04-21-2005, 01:55 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

empty the tank and clean it well. You can use a VERY light bleach water solution, but make sure you rinse rinse rinse. If you are going to store the tank empty, I am not sure what you would do with the sponge. If it were me I would just throw it out and use a new one when you need it.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:47 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would get rid of the water and the sponge too. I suppose you could also clean the sponge with bleach, and rinse, rinse, rinse. The whole purpose of the small QT is to be able to tear it down and set it up with ease. You could run the cleaned or new spoge in the main tank to colonize it before your next use.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:44 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

I would also dump the QT water. Fill the tank with water and a little bit of bleach. (when I sanitized my 5 gallon tank, I filled with water and put 3 cups of bleach in). Allow that to sit overnight, empty and fill the tank with tap water and a 3 or 4 times the dose of dechlorinator for that size tank. For my 5 gallon tank, I added enough dechlor for a 20 gallon tank. Rinse for about 5 minutes. If you still smell bleach, rinse some more. As mentioned, you could also soak the sponge in the bleach water, but I get a replacement sponge. The type of sponge filter that I buy (Azoo) has replacement sponges that you can put onto the filter assembly, so you can easily clean the hard surface of the filter and get a new sponge cheaply.

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
qt tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com