QT tank setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Missladybug77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i want to set up a 10 gallon quarantine tank for freshwater fish. I have the tank, filter, heater and air stone set up. What is the procedure for qt new fish and what happens after a sick fish is healthy again? Does the water need to be changed completely after a fish is cured or will the carbon in the filter take out most of the medicine (if used)? I know this is a crazy question but I want to be prepared. Thanks for any help! Oh yeah I am not using any substrate in the tank as of right now. Should I or is it just a personal choice?

From what I've seen it's personal choice. My qt is basically just a sparsely decorated dt under my guppy tank. Of course it also has three skirted tetra as semi permanent occupants causew I'm not sure what to do with them. (they didn't work out in the tank I wanted them for, and now I'm figuring out what to do with then)

i want to set up a 10 gallon quarantine tank for freshwater fish. I have the tank, filter, heater and air stone set up. What is the procedure for qt new fish and what happens after a sick fish is healthy again? Does the water need to be changed completely after a fish is cured or will the carbon in the filter take out most of the medicine (if used)? I know this is a crazy question but I want to be prepared. Thanks for any help! Oh yeah I am not using any substrate in the tank as of right now. Should I or is it just a personal choice?

The trouble with "setting up" a QT, is that you'll more than likely start putting fish, inverts in it and you no longer have a QT.

I keep a 20g tank aside for my QT and never set it up unless I need it. I do keep the filter for it running on one of my tanks so that if I do need to QT any of my fish all I need to do is fill 1/2 of it with water from the tank the fish is in and prep the rest of the water with Prime. I take the seeded filter from my DT, put it on my QT and I have an instantly cycled tank. I choose not to add any decco unless a particular fish needs a cave, etc. because like many things in a tank, it's more for our viewing pleasure than the fishes needs (caves, sand for diggers, etc are some exceptions). Once the QT is done everything gets a good cleaning and the sterilized filter goes back on a DT for reseeding.

Back
Top Bottom