Quarantine tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VioletEmber

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have had some bad luck lately with recent fish purchases (tetras that die after transmitting ich to my healthy tank, Betta with popeye) and I'm thinking that I need to set up a quarantine tank. Petco is having a sale on these tank kits - a 10g with accessories for $39... Don't think it includes a heater so that'd be extra. But I was wondering if a 10g is appropriate for quarantine? I have only fish that fit in my 10 or 20g tanks, so it seems like a few weeks in a 10g wouldn't be bad as needed.

Could a five gallon be big enough? Does it need to be running the whole time that I'm not using it? I'm worried I'll just end up wanting to put fish in it! ;). How do you resist the temptation to stock an empty tank!?!

I'd go with a 10. You can have an extra filter running on one of your other tanks to keep it seeded and put it on your quarantine tank as needed. I like to use sponge filters in my quarantines. I have one in all of my tanks. Just be careful if the fish in quarantine are ill then that illness can be transmitted via filter so clean it before putting back in healthy tank. If cleaned enough the bacteria wil also be killed so it'll take time to reseed. That's why you may want extra filters in all your tanks ready to go.
As far as size I don't think a 5 gallon is nearly as versatile as a 10 and 10s ten to be cheaper.

My first tank was a kit tank and I pretty much hated it. I think in the long run, it is either better to buy a complete tank through craiglist. Filters are usually the main issue with kits since most them will end up sucking.

I would say 10, the bigger the better.

In terms of running it constantly, I'm not sure, I want one for myself as well and hopefully someone can answer it.

I second xanders advice & go with the 10gal. It will be easier to keep stable than a 5gal. As suggested, running extra filters on your main tank(s) will give you a seeded filter for when you need to use the qt tank. I actually keep my cycled 20gal qt tank running all the time by dosing it with 4ppm ammonia daily (well, almost daily) because i use it fairly frequently for qt new fish or moving fish around. My 1 bully gets 'time-outs' in it for a day or 2 when he gets too obnoxious with his tankmates as well.

Cornstar said:
My first tank was a kit tank and I pretty much hated it. I think in the long run, it is either better to buy a complete tank through craiglist. Filters are usually the main issue with kits since most them will end up sucking.

I would say 10, the bigger the better.

In terms of running it constantly, I'm not sure, I want one for myself as well and hopefully someone can answer it.

I agree- much better to do it through craigslist! I love seeing how much or how little people charge... I've seen whole sets for free and identical sets asking for 100+!

Thanks for the advice, and it reminds me to educate myself in the different kinds of filters...

Back
Top Bottom