Quarantining my pleco. Other fish are eating him!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jc102

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys,

So, at the advice of my local fish store owner, I put my sailfin pleco in with 7 juvenile African Cichlids. They have been nibbling at his fins. My PetCo is having a $1/gallon sale so I went and bought a 29 gallon. I know he'll need a bigger tank later on, but it's all I can do right now.

I have a 10 gallon glo-fish tank setup and I am planning on moving the glo-fish over to the tank with the Pleco.

My question is, should I quarantine the pleco in the new 29 gallon tank for a while and treat him with Stress Coat or go ahead and put the Glo-fish in with him? If I use Stress Coat, how often should I dose?

I would place your Pleco and Glofish in your new 29 gal. Instant cycle your new tank with the power filter currently being used on your cycled 10 gal.
Plecos are one of the most disease resistant fish available, but if you feel the need for a disease inhibitor / preventative, might use a non toxic med like Melafix or an herbal product.

I would place your Pleco and Glofish in your new 29 gal. Instant cycle your new tank with the power filter currently being used on your cycled 10 gal.
Plecos are one of the most disease resistant fish available, but if you feel the need for a disease inhibitor / preventative, might use a non toxic med like Melafix or an herbal product.

Thank you for your advice! I will setup the new 29 gallon and move them all over. I'm not worried about disease since I've had all of the fish for over a year.

I would put the pleco in there on his own to heal for a bit first like a week or two then put the glowfish in

Back
Top Bottom