Question about goldfish for a friend.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have not tested her water yet. Will do it tomorrow. The fish have been removed. I know nothing about goldfish.

Here's what happened. She has a 30 gallon sea clear tank(no idea what that is, just going by what she told me) no heater. And a AC 70 filter. Substrate is colored gravel(blue), fake plants and some fake rocks.

She's had 3 goldfish the ones that look like there eyes are gonna pop out. 2 were black and 1 was white and red (I think)

She's done water changes often and has had these fish for almost a year. She did a water change Monday and this morning all three were dead!! Huddled up next to each other in the corner. I saw them it was sad. They looked like they had been covered with milk! There eyes were fogged and they had a white slime on there entire body. Water was crystal clear.

I know it's hard to tell without the water results. I'm gonna head over tomorrow and test it. I just don't know what to tell her. I have no clue.

Aww poor things.
Did she add decholinator? I ask because sometimes people forget. Sometimes extra chlorine is added during flushing of the pipes or during heavey rain fall. The test results might not tell us much if the dead fish where in their too long.

^^^* scrap that.
PWC was done 3 days ago.

Was there any fly spray, perfume, etc sprayed near the tank?
Anything dropped in?
Did she use a bucket that had chemicals in it?
Was there something on her hands (like flea killer from patting a dog)?

Oh hey S****** oh i mean Mumma!! :) Well... She does have a dog. I will ask. I'm on the phone with her now.

She didn't use any thing to treat water when she did changes. She's telling me she never used anything! He BF told her just to add stress coat. She fed the fish 4 times a day. I'm gonna make a newbie guess and say ammonia.

Convict2161 said:
She didn't use any thing to treat water when she did changes. She's telling me she never used anything! He BF told her just to add stress coat. She fed the fish 4 times a day. I'm gonna make a newbie guess and say ammonia.

The chlorine probably kept killing off her BB. That and feeding 4x a day would definitely cause an ammonia spike. It would have had to be pretty huge to kill them all together like that. I'm guessing ammonia combined with chlorine poisoning IMO.

Mumma.of.two said:
The chlorine probably kept killing off her BB. That and feeding 4x a day would definitely cause an ammonia spike. It would have had to be pretty huge to kill them all together like that. I'm guessing ammonia combined with chlorine poisoning IMO.

I'll let ya know Mumma.of.two!!

The poor fish!!!! Yes, i agree with Mumma that it was most likely a combination between chlorine & ammmonia/nitrite poisoning esp with an overstocked tank. The cloudy eyes is a big red flag of the symptoms especially with black moors (the black fish with the telescope eyes). If she plans on more fish, please tell her to get her to get an API fw master test kit & teach her how to test her water! And suggest this site to her for more help!

jlk said:
The poor fish!!!! Yes, i agree with Mumma that it was most likely a combination between chlorine & ammmonia/nitrite poisoning esp with an overstocked tank. The cloudy eyes is a big red flag of the symptoms especially with black moors (the black fish with the telescope eyes). If she plans on more fish, please tell her to get her to get an API fw master test kit & teach her how to test her water! And suggest this site to her for more help!

I tested the water. The ammonia color wasn't even on the chart!! Nitrite was purple.

Theres your answer. Goldfish are no different than other fw fish in respect to water quality-they need 0 amm, 0 nitrites, & less than 20 nitrates...

jlk said:
Theres your answer. Goldfish are no different than other fw fish in respect to water quality-they need 0 amm, 0 nitrites, & less than 20 nitrates...

Yeah water conditions are horrible. I'm gonna help her and try to clean it up. After work I'm gonna bring my water changer and my Prime. Let it go a few days and re test. Told her DON'T buy any fish until I get things under control. It's only cause of this site that I have the knowledge now to fix this problem. Gonna tell her to join.

Convict2161 said:
Yeah water conditions are horrible. I'm gonna help her and try to clean it up. After work I'm gonna bring my water changer and my Prime. Let it go a few days and re test. Told her DON'T buy any fish until I get things under control. It's only cause of this site that I have the knowledge now to fix this problem. Gonna tell her to join.

(y) make sure she stocks slowly to avoid mini cycling. Her BB will be in very few numbers.

Back
Top Bottom