Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-09-2012, 03:37 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Question about Ich Treatment

I have a question about treating ich with meds. I recently started out and the fish that I got from the lfs got ich. I bought some medicine to start treating it, and it says to remove the carbon filter during treatment. The guy at the lfs said to remove it until about an hour after I put in the meds, but I read that keeping the carbon in will remove the meds.

It's been about 24 hours since I added the first dose and therefore about 24 hours since I've removed the carbon filter. I just added the second dose a while ago, maybe 3 hours-ish. Should I put the carbon thingy back in? :/

Old 01-09-2012, 03:42 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Leave it out until its time to remove the meds. how long have you been using that bit of carbon?

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:45 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I've only been using it for about a week and a half. And when do I remove the meds? The bottle says to continue treating until 3-4 days after all white spots are gone; is that when I remove them?
Old 01-09-2012, 04:03 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Yes, if that's what the instructions say. Put the carbon back in at the end and do a water change to help remove the medication. FYI I just want to let you know that ich can be treated with high heat and the addition of salt. No need for meds in the future.
http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php
Old 01-09-2012, 04:06 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Oh, okay (: Thanks! I've been having a little trouble with my heater though... it hasn't brought my water up past 75 degrees Fahrenheit. I think I might have accidentally broken it when I installed it because I put it just above the minimum water requirement and the next day found the water level below the requirement... :/ so I don't really know what's going on with my heater. It's still in a good temp range for my fish, though.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:18 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Some heaters only heat up to a few degrees more than the room temperature, some are set on a certain temperature and others are adjustable. It might be a good idea to look into a new adjustable one if yours isn't functioning as it should.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Okay. Thanks for your help!

Tags
eat, ich, ich question meds, treatment

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com