Question About Parasite Treatment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lifeoffroad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So my fish poop white stringy poop every so often. I don't see it very often but I do see it. So i started them on Angels Plus anti protozoan food. I havent seen any abnormal poop during the treatment until the final day. There is a white stringy poop stuck to one of the plants.
So what does this mean? Should should I continue treating? Try something different or is it not even parasites?

Please help? I just want to make sure they are okay.

None of them act sick, they all eat and the water quality is fine.

Thanks everyone.

Mumma.of.two said:
What do you feed them normally? IME certain vege causes poop like that.

Actually I feed them a combination of frozen ( bloodworm, brine shrimp) and regular flake. I just got them a vegetable flake food to substitute for veggies as my fish just won't eat the veggies.

However, the anti protozoan food says to feed them this for 6 days twice a day. This was day 6.

aqua_chem said:
What kind of fish are these? Platies?

They should all be listed under my profile but not sure if it displays.

Mostly rainbows, a ram, Cory's, and clowns. It says to give them the immune booster food right after which I got but its only recommended. I feed them some before I started to make sure they were feeling good. I'm telling you, if these guys were sick you would never know it. They swim around play with each other come to the front when I walk up to eat. I just don't see how it can be parasites. But.........it looks like typical parasite poop. Clear long tubes/strings.

Parasites???

So my fish poop white stringy poop every so often. I don't see it very often but I do see it. So i started them on Angels Plus anti protozoan food. I havent seen any abnormal poop during the treatment until the final day. There is a white stringy poop stuck to one of the plants.
So what does this mean? Should should I continue treating? Try something different or is it not even parasites?

Please help? I just want to make sure they are okay.

None of them act sick, they all eat and the water quality is fine.

Thanks everyone.

Hello Life...

Unless you have experience in fish biology, then you have no way of knowing what or if there's anything wrong with your fish. I believe medications aren't the answer. They do more harm than good in the wrong hands. Chemcials can stress your fish, possibly damage plants and don't do the good bacteria any good. So, since you're not certain, then it's best to treat a suspected problem naturally. If you have a QT tank, then isolate the fish or fishes. If not, then treat the entire tank by raising the temp to about 82 degrees and start an aggressive water change schedule. Changing out half the tank water every three to four days and making that water a few degrees warmer will help. Follow this for two to three weeks. Warm temps and warm, pure water will help. Also, feed a little minced garlic to your fish every other day. Garlic is a natural antibotic and full of nutrients.

B

BBradbury said:
Hello Life...

Unless you have experience in fish biology, then you have no way of knowing what or if there's anything wrong with your fish. I believe medications aren't the answer. They do more harm than good in the wrong hands. Chemcials can stress your fish, possibly damage plants and don't do the good bacteria any good. So, since you're not certain, then it's best to treat a suspected problem naturally. If you have a QT tank, then isolate the fish or fishes. If not, then treat the entire tank by raising the temp to about 82 degrees and start an aggressive water change schedule. Changing out half the tank water every three to four days and making that water a few degrees warmer will help. Follow this for two to three weeks. Warm temps and warm, pure water will help. Also, feed a little minced garlic to your fish every other day. Garlic is a natural antibotic and full of nutrients.

B

Since like you said, I'm never gonna know if there is an issue, and my fish appear to be perfectly fine, I think I am just going to leave it alone. I'll try the garlic but my fish really don't eat human food. Its like they know its not human food. I do have food that is high in garlic to help build immune system. Plus I use liquid vitamins into the water and mix with the food.

Thanks for the advice I will try this method.

You can also use liquid garlic extracts like this.

But really, deworming your fish, especially new arrivals, is good practice much the same way deworming your dog is. This is one advantage of a QT setup, as you can feed deworming meds or what-have-you to just your new fish.

aqua_chem said:

But really, deworming your fish, especially new arrivals, is good practice much the same way deworming your dog is. This is one advantage of a QT setup, as you can feed deworming meds or what-have-you to just your new fish.

I agree but I haven't had any new additions for some time now. I have had this poop issue for awhile. I think it started when I noticed my nitrates were high, however, then found out my tap water is very high in nitrates. So i have been trying to control that through biological filtration ever since. Im leaning towards this not being parasites but just irregular poop due to diet but every time I think its gone it "pulls me back in" lol. Sorry I had to. :)

aqua_chem said:

Oh and yes I am going to order that soon. I'm going to add a little with every water change. Thanks!

You tell me......parasite poop or just diet. Also, can this be considered a small poop from a small fish? That would help me narrow down the source. Sorry for the "poop" discussion.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120618_204331.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120618_204331.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 46
Back
Top Bottom