question about parasites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ram897

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 4 black molly's and 4 pictus cats in a tank. The molly's have been there since June but the cats we just got last weekend.
My question is about the molly's. I have noticed a few times that one or two of them has white long poop. Last night one of them had reddish poop and this morning one had clear white poop. I have no idea which one or ones because they are all about the same size. Is there something I should treat all 8 fish with to treat for possible parasites? I thought it was normal poo for molly's because this is my first tank but the more I read it could be worms?
I can't get a decent picture to show it.
I would prefer not to dump drugs in the water because my tank is new and barely cycled. Any help appreciated.
Also don't have a qt to isolate when I see it. I will be picking up a 10 when I can get somewhere but don't have one going yet.
Thanks

What are you feeding them? Are they acting or look differently or is it just the poo that has you concerned? IME fish poo is the same color of whatever they ate. Somebody else may have a different opinion.

They are very active and eating well. Good black coloring and appear healthy. I have tried to find pictures of fish with parasites and not much luck. They eat tropical flakes and that is about it. I tried giving them some peas for a treat and they don't really mess with them.

Ram897 said:
They are very active and eating well. Good black coloring and appear healthy. I have tried to find pictures of fish with parasites and not much luck. They eat tropical flakes and that is about it. I tried giving them some peas for a treat and they don't really mess with them.

Hopefully somebody else will respond. I think if they have internal parasites you'd see other symptoms but I've not had experience with it so I'm not 100% sure.

If the fish are eating I wouldn't be to concerned yet. Other symptoms with the stringy white poop could be not eating or spitting food, being lethargic, and hiding a lot. If things progress then start treatment with Tetras Parasite Guard, it's safe, effective, and inexpensive.

Last edited:
K. Thanks. Will watch them.

Btw. HUKIT.. I love, love, love your fish pictures! Just heard of a place within an hour of home that has many species of cichlids and saw someones post on YouTube. Can't wait to be able to take a road trip.
Tanks look very clear and beautiful fish.

Might have to get another tank!

Back
Top Bottom