Questionable bump on Silver Dollar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nkn1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a silver dollar fish that has a large lump on the one side. I thought I was over feeding, so I put down shelled peas for the past 4 days. The lump is not going away. My fish is active, swimming in the tank. Any ideas on what this is?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Surfnturf ( a member of the community) was great in helping me get rid of bump on my fish - thanks surfnturf! My question now is there's a flap of white skin and a small hole where the bump used to be. Should I be concerned it could have been parasitic worms? Should I be concerned about my tank and outbreaks in my other silver dollar fish? Thank you

See my question above! Need help! Here's facts about my tank:
54 gal corner tank, bottom filtration system with carbon pad placed inside top of filtration system, six silver dollar fish in tank (2 are 6 years old including my sick one), ph: 7.0, no ammonia, water changes done every four weeks-25% with vacuuming gravel moderately. I check ph every other day. Moderate concentration of aquarium salt consistently in tank. The four silver dollars I have were just added one month ago. I noticed a small amount of fungus on one of the new fish's mouth, so I treated w/Erythrimycin immediately as instructed & it went away, but then my one silver dollar got the lump on his side. No lump now, but flap of white skin & tiny hole in side. He still is hiding most of the time but more active & somewhat aggressive in his space. I fed the sick silver dollar shelled peas & did salt dip twice -lump gone (thanks surfnturf). Hoping no more trouble!

Didn't see this when originally posted but after reading thru now, it would be in the best interest of the fish to start conducting weekly WC's. The problem with monthly (although pH isn't an issue) is you're allowing other parameters (not mentioned) to build up over time which in turn is what is stressing the fish and causing problems in the tank. I can only imagine the other parameters are way out of whack and a liquid test kit will accurately confirm or deny that.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Yah^^^ your nitrates must be through the roof, with that stock you should be doing 2-50% wc's a week... minimum. That sound like hith?? Need to feed quality food and keep the water pristine or else it will never heal and the fish will perish. Look into added filtration as well.. an ac 110 would be a great addition

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you both for your advice! I didn't realize I haven't been doing enough wc's. This is good to know. I will incorporate these changes & keep you posted.

Back
Top Bottom