Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-29-2005, 11:18 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quick Cure's Blue

I have been overly broken into the hobby by the evil Fish disease god who likes to torment newbies

My two new swords both have develped ich (I believe from being overly stressed as they were shipped in the morning I got them) about two days after I put them in the main tank. I've been treating with Quick Cure after consulting with my lfs, and she told me not to worry about taking out the carbon in my filter baskets and in my pads (I have Penguin 330). It also says this on aquariumfish.net. I've been adding one drop per gallon (55 in all) for about four days now...but the ich seems to be getting worse on them. They have about 5-8 crystals on each and are rubbing against the side of the tank. Luckily it hasn't spread to my seven zebra danios yet, but I've just noticed one is starting to itch itself.

I know that Quick Cure is supposed to turn the water blue, but how long is it supposed to stay blue? Mine stays blue for about 20 minutes, maybe this is an indication it isn't working? Maybe I should ignore what my lfs said and take out the carbon? I realize it says this on the bottle, but she said since I also just added Turbostart that I shouldn't take it out.

I also plan on raising the temp slowly to about 86, I just have two female swords and 7 zebras, so I'm assuming that wouldn't hurt anyone? I'll also add salt, but I keep getting different answers on how much.

Old 07-29-2005, 12:45 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Activated carbon will soak up medications like a dry sponge, however after a few days, your carbon soaks up about all it can, and thus becomes useless. I would still remove the carbon from your filter, just incase. Methylene blue (the active ingredient in quick cure) is actually a poison. It's not too good to use for fish, even though it kills nearly all parasites, and a lot of invertebrates. This could be hindering your fishes health by stressing them out even more.

That said, I would attempt the heat/salt treatment and you will probably have better luck. Best of luck with the ich.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 04:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If the water isn't staying blue, the carbon is soaking up all the methylene blue. As Devilishturtles said, your "quick cure" is a poison, as are most fish meds. When I have used meds for ich, the fish die and the ich doesn't. When I use the heat and salt method it does not recur. Unfortunately the best lfs around here keeps giving me (well, my fish) ich. Go with the heat and salt (and save the methylene blue for brownies)
Old 07-31-2005, 05:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

for brownies? (Scared to eat at your house!)
Old 08-02-2005, 03:14 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Methylene Blue makes you pee green a few hours later. Not that I would ever do that.

Tags
cure, ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com