Quick question. I need to be sure i am right

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flossie

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am treating my aquarium for internal parasites. I have an established tank so i did not remove the carbon. ( the cartridges have been in there from 1-2 months at least --guessing I can't remember lol) I'm on my second round of meds I want to make sure they are working and the medicine is not being effected or
Removed by the carbon

Hi i would remove the carbon just to be on the safe side:).It is very effective at removing meds! Also carbon is ideally replaced after six to eight weeks anyway.

Hi Flossie! Yes, i agree to remove the carbon (dump it out or slit the pockets & remove it depending on type of filter-just make sure you keep the filter) just to be safe. How are your guys doing?

stingrays4 said:
Hi i would remove the carbon just to be on the safe side:).It is very effective at removing meds! Also carbon is ideally replaced after six to eight weeks anyway.

I have removed it before but someone on her said that after so long it only serves as bio media. I didn't even think about it until now.. :( hope the meds are even working :(

jlk said:
Hi Flossie! Yes, i agree to remove the carbon (dump it out or slit the pockets & remove it depending on type of filter-just make sure you keep the filter) just to be safe. How are your guys doing?

Hey Jik ;) I don't I even thought about the carbon until later I was focused on getting the shrimp out I guess lol. Well only 2 of the 6 danios died ( the 1 before qt 1 during qt ) I think they are doing a little better. I got the shrimp moved over to my Berta tank ( lost one lol long story ) as for the Angela and rams... The angels seem to be a little better. They still don't have the appetite I want them to have. White weird poppies still (lol)

Hi yes it does and can serve as bio media,but it will still remove meds. I would rely on some other media for the main bio media. I use sintered glass,basically eheims ehffisubstrate{spelt something like that LOL!}as its much better bio media:) Good luck and keep us posted:)

jlk said:
Good luck & keep me posted!!!

Thanks Jik... You have been very helpful. I appreciate all your advice this far ;)

stingrays4 said:
Hi yes it does and can serve as bio media,but it will still remove meds. I would rely on some other media for the main bio media. I use sintered glass,basically eheims ehffisubstrate{spelt something like that LOL!}as its much better bio media:) Good luck and keep us posted:)

Thanks u very much. I took the carbon out and now my tank is a mess and I already did my PWCs (sad face) lol I may just do another round of meds in 48hrs just incase. Yeah I'm thinking of going with something other than carbon. Probably the big rolls of stuff u can cut yourself... Seeing I have 11 filters in my hous hahaha

Hi that's allot of filters:fish2: I only have six filters on three tanks:oops:
Do you use carbon in all your filters? Also any updates:)

stingrays4 said:
Hi that's allot of filters:fish2: I only have six filters on three tanks:oops:
Do you use carbon in all your filters? Also any updates:)

Indeed it is but I have six tanks and three are 55g :D ummmmm well idk my angels are still being extremely picky about food one nibbles and spits and still has white stringy poop and the other is still not eatin at all... He tried a little the other day but just spit it back out :(

Hi Flossie how are you?:) That some nice sized tanks you got there:fish2:
I have just three tanks at the moment:) A five foot oddball tank 80 gallons i think:oops: A forty gallon planted tank and a 12 gallon shrimp rearing tank:) i have three externals, one internal and two air driven filters
As for your angel,may i ask what you are feeding them? Do you feed frozen foods?

Attachments

• five foot 1 (Large).jpg
    five foot 1 (Large).jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 63
  • plants8 (Large).jpg
    plants8 (Large).jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 63
stingrays4 said:
Hi Flossie how are you?:) That some nice sized tanks you got there:fish2:
I have just three tanks at the moment:) A five foot oddball tank 80 gallons i think:oops: A forty gallon planted tank and a 12 gallon shrimp rearing tank:) i have three externals, one internal and two air driven filters
As for your angel,may i ask what you are feeding them? Do you feed frozen foods?

Im good ;) your tanks are awesome! U can see mine on My profile in albums....Well I was just feeding them aqueon tropical flakes ( my bad ) I tried to switch to NLS Thera A but they are sick and not eating. I just bought some frozen blood worms by hikari to feed them medicated while treating the tank as well... if I can get them to start eating :( I'm still kinda a newbie But
I would recommend the NLS pellets and frozen bloodworms as a treat...

Hi thanks you are too kind:) Also thanks for the tip on the food:) I have found Angels can be picky feeders, but usually very keen to attack food that's on the move-bit like the kitten and a ball of wool,wont chase it but as soon as you move it bang little kitten gotta attack it,so like the kitten the Angel things the food is getting away? Well its worth a try:) What else do you have in with the Angels? Are they feeding ok? Hope you are having a good weekend:)
I shall have a look at your tanks now - hopefully still finding my round this site:oops:

stingrays4 said:
Hi thanks you are too kind:) Also thanks for the tip on the food:) I have found Angels can be picky feeders, but usually very keen to attack food that's on the move-bit like the kitten and a ball of wool,wont chase it but as soon as you move it bang little kitten gotta attack it,so like the kitten the Angel things the food is getting away? Well its worth a try:) What else do you have in with the Angels? Are they feeding ok? Hope you are having a good weekend:)
I shall have a look at your tanks now - hopefully still finding my round this site:oops:

Lol yes I cut up small pieces of zucchini and My little guy could not resist chasing it as it floated around. I would recommend some zucchini once in a while and maybe a de shelled/ unsalted pea once a week. And some frozen bloodworms ever so often.

One of the angels and the two rams are still eating some. I'm hopeful to get my other angel eating soon. I really like those little guys

Currently with my issues I just have 2 angels and 2 bolivian rams. Im hoping to get my rummynose moved in with them soon and some false Julie cories. I really like the rams and angel combo ;)

Hi had a look at your album:cool: you have some very nice tanks there(y) The Machine is very different,must have been quite a challenge setting up? Your Angel tank i feel needs a little more decor that rises up towards the surface? Also as you say it will be nice to give them guys some more company:fish2: Rummynoses a good choice,i have ten at the moment and they area good community fis:fish2:h The goldfish tanks looks well smart(y) You say you haven't been keeping fish long? From your tanks I'd say your a natural:)

Hi had a look at your album:cool: you have some very nice tanks there(y) The Machine is very different,must have been quite a challenge setting up? Your Angel tank i feel needs a little more decor that rises up towards the surface? Also as you say it will be nice to give them guys some more company:fish2: Rummynoses a good choice,i have ten at the moment and they area good community fis:fish2:h The goldfish tanks looks well smart(y) You say you haven't been keeping fish long? From your tanks I'd say your a natural:)

Indeed.. i'm not happy with the angel tank. I have 7 rummynose i was planning to move but now i have the sickness going on but if i can get it straightened out I would like to move them and add a few more! I really like rummynose... maybe some cardinals too! The gumball machine was actually very easy lol I have a thread showing what I did on it. I believe it's under has anyone ever built an aquarium or something like that. I LOVE the look of your tanks! I wish mine looked that great! I like the contemporary style of my African Cichlid tank and my GF tanks. I wish my angel tank were more natural looking like yours... maybe one day! Thanks for your input! I agree!
Yeah, I would say around six months... or so... definitely less than a year.... I appreciate that! I really enjoy decorating the tanks and that's one part of the hobby my husband is actually interested in! LOL

Hi thanks for the compliments:flowers: Wow i would have thought you have been keeping fish for much longer than that! I've had a few years practice now lol! I have been keeping fish since 1988:fish2: Aquarium decorating is such a personal thing and every one is different and i would say you have got a good eye for setting up a tank:cool: The gumball machine is very innovative and i reckon you done a great job - most impressive(y)
Yes probably best idea to get your Angel sorted before adding the rummynoses,fingers crossed its sorted quickly! Any progress?

stingrays4 said:
Hi thanks for the compliments:flowers: Wow i would have thought you have been keeping fish for much longer than that! I've had a few years practice now lol! I have been keeping fish since 1988:fish2: Aquarium decorating is such a personal thing and every one is different and i would say you have got a good eye for setting up a tank:cool: The gumball machine is very innovative and i reckon you done a great job - most impressive(y)
Yes probably best idea to get your Angel sorted before adding the rummynoses,fingers crossed its sorted quickly! Any progress?

I lost one of my angels but the other one is finally eating and pooing better and the 2 rams seem fine. I think I'm going to plant the tank once my fish have had a little more time to chill...

Hi sorry to hear you lost one of the Angels:( but good news the other one is doing better(y) Yes good idea to let them have a rest for awhile before planting(y) maybe enjoy Christmas first and have a look round for some decent plants:) Pity you are not nearer, the vallis in my tank seems to be taking over:eek: You take care:)

Back
Top Bottom