Qustion on Dosing GelTek

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IceH2O

Aquarium Advice Freak
One of my Gouramis has what looks like a pimple on one side of his body( back bottom near tail). On the exact opposite side he has what looked like a pimple that ruptured. I don't see any worms or parasites but to be on the safe side i bought some GelTek Bacteria and GelTek Antiparasite.

The directions only tell you how to add it to the water, 5 drops per fish. I was under the assumption that its better to let it soak into their favorite food and have them eat it. So how much should I add to the food? I'm going to treat the entire tank just to be on the safe side. 10 fish would be 50 drops. I don't feed enough to soak up 50 drops worth of liquid, I hope.
Should I just put the equivalent of 50 drops into a bowl add the food and let it soak as much as possible and then drop the remaining into the tank with the food?

I'm not familiar with that brand. The meds I have used always state if if can be put in food or just in the water or both. Since your fish has external infections, putting it directly in the water may be what's needed in this case.

You're talking about the medicated gel food right? I'm almost positive it will not have any effect if you put it in the water and the fish don't eat it, as it is not an external medication. When I used it (geltek tetracycline) with my fish they would not eat if directly because they are spoiled pigs. I got them to eat it by soaking their food in it, which worked for a few days but then they even started spitting that out. But those few days must have done the trick because everyone's healthy now, although I mainly did it for preventative reasons.

Anyway, I didn't really calculate a specific dose to soak their food in but just put the amount of flakes I was planning to feed them into a shot glass and added enough drops of geltek to cover them. Then, I dipped the glass in the water and all the soaked food came out. I would not recommend adding 50 drops to any flake based food because it makes the flakes extremely soggy and they will probably disintegrate before you get them in the water. My loaches, however, got sinking pellets soaked in teh stuff which made it a little easier. So if you're using pellets, you could probably add a bit more but I still think 50 drops is an overestimation because it's not as if every fish will eat the exact same amount of food that you add to the water, and I think what you mainly need to do is get the medication to cover the food you're using without the food disintegrating. You will quickly see how much this is when you try it out.

I do think this is an excellent plan if your fish have internal problems, but from your description it does seem like an external parasite. In that case, your best bet may be to remove that fish into a QT tank and dose the water.

Back
Top Bottom