Rainbow fish eyes silver/cloudy - blind?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

machettek

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all! Within the last couple of days, one of my rainbow fish has suddenly gotten silvery blue eyes and seems to have trouble seeing now. I have a 65 gallon tank with another rainbow fish, a giant danio, 2 peacock eels, a stick fish, a bristlenosed pleco, and an apple snail. The other fish have normal black pupils. Can anyone help guide my in what might be wrong? My tank has been set up since Dec 2013. I'm new to all this and not sure what other information to include.

Attachments

• fish.jpg
    fish.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 333
It could be an eye infection that's normally caused by fungus.

Sorry about your fish! That is no fun to deal with. We will see if we can help you out a bit to find the root issue. :)
First thing, do you test your water and know your current parameters are? Like, pH nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia? That is always important to know. If you do not own a test kit, they are available at just about any fish store. Liquid ones are better than the strips. If you don't have one, another option is that most stores will test you water quality for free. Even the common chains will do that.
There are a handful of things that can cause cloudy eye. Those things include parasites, bacterial infection, and cataracts. Bacteria is the most common however. What kind of schedule are you on for water changes? You may need to increase it some so the fish can heal. If clean water doesn't fix it, your next option will be meds.

Back
Top Bottom