Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-25-2009, 01:27 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Rainbow shark, Ruby shark? Problem. 10 years old!!

Hi all,

I have 2 Ruby Sharks. They are also known as Rainbow Sharks I guess. Not sure how it is listed. They are Red and bottom dwellers.

First. I have had them for 10 years so any water problems are okay. Second new fish have not entered my system.

Problem is that the smaller Ruby is being picked on by the larger Ruby. I don't have any other fish in my 40 gallon. The bigger one is over 6 inches wide 2 inches thick. The smaller one is probably 4 inches long.

Maybe is the bigger one losing it????? I am thinking he is going nuts. The bigger one is not eating maybe?? I don't know why they are fighting so much after almost 10 years. Yeah the bigger one picks on the smaller one but today I have had to use a separator to divide the two. What do you think.

I have had the pair 10 years. Why now??? Thanks so much for your advice. No new conditions BTW.

Julie

Old 10-25-2009, 05:06 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to Phrozian
Hi there,

First and foremost, welcome to the forums

I'm not very familiar with rainbow sharks per se, but the size of your tank is only 40 gallons... I googled rainbow sharks, and a single adult rainbow shark would typically need a 55 gallon tank. With two of them in a 40 gallon tank, I gather that there could be an overcrowding issue as they are growing bigger. Although you've had them both for 10 years, when did you start noticing aggression issues?

Although they have been together for 10 years, rainbow sharks seems to be aggressive to their own species due to their territorial behaviour, do you have caves or any ornamental setup that may provide hiding places?

Old 10-25-2009, 08:33 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Also that they start to develop personality as they get older.You should get a bigger tank soon.Is you're tank heavily planted with lots of hiding spots?
Old 10-25-2009, 01:56 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hi,

Thanks for the responses! Thanks for the welcome!

Yes, I have a cave and lots of fake plants. The bigger one has always been territorial and has picked on the smaller one, not to the point of injuring though. And not so obsessive as I have been noticing. The bigger one ownes the cave.

I think you are right that they need more space but I am having a hard time justify (economically) buying a new 55 gallon tank for 2 fish. Not sure how long they will even live? 10 years is long for them I think?

If you are all in agreement that space is the issue what do you think about me finding another home for them? I always thought that that would be a death sentence being in a new environment.

Personally these guys have moved across 3 states in a bucket and a car cigarette plug in heater. I just lost my 13 year old angel last year so these guys are all I have left and I haven't put anything new in this tank for worries that it may kill my two.

Thanks so much. This is very distressing for me. I am doing a water change now and I will see how they react and will put the divider up in case they start going at it again. They both seem healthy so I think it is territorial.

Thanks!

Julie
Old 10-25-2009, 01:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hi again,

Another thought. I do have a 10 gallon tank, new. Could the smaller Ruby go into that tank? And if so (which I doubt) I would have no idea how to cycle it. Would you put in 1/2 original water with new water and wait for a week?

Thanks again!

Julie
Old 10-26-2009, 04:41 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would keep the divider up for now.
Watch your smaller fish carefully. Fish seem to sense when a fish may be ailing and have a tendency to pick on an ailing fish. This could be an issue.
I wouldn't even bother with the 10g.
I would check out craigslist.com daily to acquire a bigger tank for them. You can usually find a great deal on a set up. When you switch them to a larger tank, just move everything over, even most of their water. Keep your old filter running on it with the new filter and everything should be fine.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:51 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I do have the divider up for now. A little worried that I am not home to monitor because these sharks are so skittish. The divider only works so well- the smaller one can go back and forth.

Yeah I am thinking the little one may be sick OR this has always been happening and I just did not pick up on it.

It is a little distressing and I don't want anyone to die freaking out.

Julie
Old 10-26-2009, 11:20 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by primerdimer View Post
Hi,

Thanks for the responses! Thanks for the welcome!

Yes, I have a cave and lots of fake plants. The bigger one has always been territorial and has picked on the smaller one, not to the point of injuring though. And not so obsessive as I have been noticing. The bigger one ownes the cave.

I think you are right that they need more space but I am having a hard time justify (economically) buying a new 55 gallon tank for 2 fish. Not sure how long they will even live? 10 years is long for them I think?

If you are all in agreement that space is the issue what do you think about me finding another home for them? I always thought that that would be a death sentence being in a new environment.

Personally these guys have moved across 3 states in a bucket and a car cigarette plug in heater. I just lost my 13 year old angel last year so these guys are all I have left and I haven't put anything new in this tank for worries that it may kill my two.

Thanks so much. This is very distressing for me. I am doing a water change now and I will see how they react and will put the divider up in case they start going at it again. They both seem healthy so I think it is territorial.

Thanks!

Julie
Is it possible the aggression started when you lost your angel, I'm assuming that it was in the same tank. If so, I would infer that with the angels passing, the hiarchy of the tank was changed. Now, they are both "fighting" to be the head cheese and neither are backing down.

You say that your water quality would be a non issue because of the age of the fish. Water quality is always an issue, at any given point something can happen that causes your bio filter to crash. Obviously you are doing a good job with tank maintenance because you have been very successful with your fish. Just to be on the safe side, you may want to take some ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings to make sure there is nothing amiss with them. This is usually the first thing to look at when there is a problem
Old 10-26-2009, 11:55 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks I will check the water levels later tonight. Thanks for all of your help!

Julie
Old 10-27-2009, 08:46 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What you could also do is put a lot more caves in the 55 gallon so the smaller one can hide.Why don't you put in live plants?Try some hard leafed Anubis or something.

Tags
rainbow shark, shark

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com