Rainbow with nipped tail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeatherW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi guys - my rainbow has part of his tail missing. I posted this under "big rainbow chasing small rainbow" but no one has chimed in. I need to know what to do for him!

I moved him to a different tank so he is ok for now. How long will it take for his tail to grow back? Do I need to do anything for him? Will he be ok to move back when he is healed?

Makes good sense. I would say a few days to a week or so I've had it take depending on how severe.

I've tried API stress coat or a half dose of melafix. Sometimes I think this helps but I've never tested properly.

Edit - can be tricky. You can only try and see if the fish settle down.

Thanks! I'm worried about him. I thought rainbows liked to be with others of their kind but I guess my old guy thought my new guy was competition for who is the biggest boy in the tank

Hi :) no rainbows shouldnt b in the same tank together, they wil fight. Only one per tank :-(

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Rainbow fish are schooling fish that like fairly densely planted tanks. Some fin nipping can happen within the school trying to setup their hierarchy

Sorry I thought u meant rainbow shark sorry

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Lol that us what I thought, but I have never had any fun nipping before. So after this guy heals up, I just move him back and try again?

Yeah just make sure you have plenty of plants that will break sight lines if they are being chased

Back
Top Bottom