Rainbowfish battling Columnaris

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Queen of Thorns

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
On June 21 I noticed one of my females shimmying. The next day, she had a faint grayish patch on her back next to her dorsal fin. Although I have been treating with Melafix since June 22, the patch has been spreading uncontrollably. The affliction is primarily on her right side, which appears somewhat swollen. She is still swimming and feeding well, but she is not nearly as active as usual. One of my males has developed a small grayish white patch on his back and another male has cottony tufts on his lips. Both males have displayed no change in behavior yet.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Nitrates: <5 ppm
Temperature: 80
pH: 7.0

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
29 gallon. Set up since 4/24/2005.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
Aquaclear 70 (aka Aquaclear 300)

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
5 Boesemani rainbowfish ~2"
1 rubbernose pleco ~2"
1 bronze cory ~2.5" (soon to be transferred to 35 gallon hex)

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
My last water change was yesterday. I do daily 10 gallon (30%) water changes. I usually vacuum a portion of the gravel with each change.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
I've had the cory since time immemorial. I've had the rubbernose pleco since 5/21/2005. I added three rainbowfish on 6/10/2005 and two more on 6/17/2005. I floated the (very large) bag in my tank and added a little tank water every five minutes for half an hour. Then I removed the new fish with a net and added them to my tank.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
I added some bacopa and hornwort last weekend.

9A~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
I rotate through a few things... TetraMin tropical granules, Tetra freeze dried bloodworms, NutraFin spirulina algae flakes, crushed up Top Fin algae thins, live mosquito larvae, shelled peas, and sometimes some cucumber or zucchini for the pleco.

Well, I have moved the female into a hospital tank, but I still haven't decided what treatment options to pursue. I will continue to add Melafix to the main tank as my other rainbowfish seem to be responding well to that medication. I could use some advice for the hospital tank, however. I have quite a few medications on hand -- Maracyn, Maracyn-II, the aforementioned Melafix, medicated food containing nitrofurazolidone, formalin, salt, Tequilla, lemon -- just kidding, the last three are for me. I'm leaning towards concurrent treatment with Maracyn and Maracyn-II plus the nitrofurazolidone pellets. Please let me know if anyone has any other recommendations for the treatment of Columnaris.

I would go a ahead with the maracyn. Keep an eye on those boys though. I treated some rasboras for columnaris with the melafix. And it looked like it went away, but as soon as treatment stopped it cam right back in the same place.

I went ahead and added the male with the grayish patch on his back to the hospital tank for the Maracyn and Maracyn-II treatment. I will continue using Melafix in the 29 gallon tank, and everybody is eating nitrofurazolidone pellets. Wish me luck!

I second the maracyn if you're pretty sure it is columnaris. It cleared up the columnaris on my gourami, unfortunately I didn't have a hospital tank and the maracyn wiped out my bio-filter. So I ended up cycling again with a fully stocked tank.

Back
Top Bottom