Rainbowfish Dropping Like Flies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

myo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all

After advice on a mysterious illness. I’ve lost over 10 Rainbowfish (several varieties) in the last 2 days. I introduced 15 in just before this and have lost several of these as well as several I’ve had long term.

I’m assuming it’s an illness but it’s affecting them so quickly!

They will start by gasping (lower in the tank) and then be dead within the hour. No physical signs of illness except red gills and the gasping.

Water parameters are spot on.

Tank temp is spot on.

Water change 35% completed yesterday.

Any advice on treatment would be great! Currently using ick treatment (I know I shouldn’t as there is no signs of ich) but I’m hoping with malachite green can slow down any sickness.

Tankmates are clown Loaches, bristlenoses and Corydoras who are all fine!IMG_0001.jpgView attachment 1

Sounds like not water chemistry (eg something from pipes) as other fish fine. Parasites not that quick to kill host. So would think either bacterial (antibiotics and half dose methylene blue to help) or viral (no effective treatment really).

Sounds like not water chemistry (eg something from pipes) as other fish fine. Parasites not that quick to kill host. So would think either bacterial (antibiotics and half dose methylene blue to help) or viral (no effective treatment really).

Yeah - water chem seems fine.

Treated for antibiotics and parasites in case. Will have to see if any improvement.

What size is your tank? Maybe you just added too many at a time.

6 foot (650 litre) with 2 2700 litre an hour filters and a well established filter bacteria.

Not seeing any of the ammonia spikes I’d expect with overstocking In too short a period

What sort of antibiotics (just in case maybe as some better than others).

I’ll have a look when I get some. This morning every fish that was really unhealthy looking is dead but the rest seem fine (fingers crossed)

Back
Top Bottom