Rainbowshark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maddmann

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I've had the lil fella in the tank for 2 days and I'm sure he's still gettin over the stress of moving, but he's hiding all day, not coming out even for food. There's a decent amount of hiding spots and noones harassing it. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

Just give him a few days. But just in case...
1. How big is the tank?

2. Is the tank cycled?

3. How did you acclimate him?

55 gallon, and it's cycled. As far as acclimation I put the bag in the water for 30 mins then let em loose

Maddmann said:
55 gallon, and it's cycled. As far as acclimation I put the bag in the water for 30 mins then let em loose

So you only did the temp acclimation? My preferred method is to float it for half an hour and then open the bag. I replace one fourth, or as close as possible, of the store water with my water. I'm very careful to keep my water and the store water separate except for in the bag. Let it sit for ten minutes, and then repeat. Repeat once more after another ten minutes. I will do this longer for more sensitive fish, but most are fine like this. If there isn't a very substantial difference in the temp, I sometimes cut the time of the first part to fifteen minutes, but it depends.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

If that's how you acclimated the guy, he's probably recovering from the changes in water. It shouldn't hurt him too bad, unless you've got ammonia, just stress him out.

Ahhh i see, never knew of different acclimation methods, I will definitely be doing that for any other fish I get

So you only did the temp acclimation? My preferred method is to float it for half an hour and then open the bag. I replace one fourth, or as close as possible, of the store water with my water. I'm very careful to keep my water and the store water separate except for in the bag. Let it sit for ten minutes, and then repeat. Repeat once more after another ten minutes. I will do this longer for more sensitive fish, but most are fine like this. If there isn't a very substantial difference in the temp, I sometimes cut the time of the first part to fifteen minutes, but it depends.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

Maybe I should start doing that with everyone..That's how I acclimate anything ordered by mail, gouramis, bettas and neon tetras..but I go until I feel like their bag is full of pretty much all tank water..but everything else I typically float and release. The tank water from my lfs has the same stats as mine except for higher nitrates. I thought the slower acclimation was only necessary if they were coming from a diff PH??

Since he isn't eating, be careful not to add to much food into the tank... All that extra food breaking down will affect the water chemistry and might make it harder for him to recover faster...

So I've had the lil fella in the tank for 2 days and I'm sure he's still gettin over the stress of moving, but he's hiding all day, not coming out even for food. There's a decent amount of hiding spots and noones harassing it. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

Mine spends most of the day in his ship or right around it. Some days I see him out and about more than others. I don't see him eat as much as the others either so I've worried but I've had him for a long time so I know he's eating :)

And i would acclimate them slowly no matter what! Every tank has a different chemistry... So it's safer to acclimate than risk losing your fishy to shock. Not to mention what can happen after the shock wares off!

siva said:
Maybe I should start doing that with everyone..That's how I acclimate anything ordered by mail, gouramis, bettas and neon tetras..but I go until I feel like their bag is full of pretty much all tank water..but everything else I typically float and release. The tank water from my lfs has the same stats as mine except for higher nitrates. I thought the slower acclimation was only necessary if they were coming from a diff PH??

Even the higher nitrates could throw him fir a loop. It's best to just do that, or look into drip acclimation for another option.

Even the higher nitrates could throw him fir a loop. It's best to just do that, or look into drip acclimation for another option.

Really...they go through a sudden nitrate drop every week during their water change so I didn't even think about that shocking them. Ok well I guess I'll start making that the routine..guess I was being lazy :) I find drip to be more of a hassle. I do it to acclimate FW to brackish tho when I have to.

siva said:
Really...they go through a sudden nitrate drop every week during their water change so I didn't even think about that shocking them. Ok well I guess I'll start making that the routine..guess I was being lazy :) I find drip to be more of a hassle. I do it to acclimate FW to brackish tho when I have to.

It's cool. I have a bit of a modified way of the non-drip acclimation. I float for 15 minutes, put in a bucket I use for PWC's, and add water every ten minutes or so. I just am too terrified of getting LFS water in My tank, so that way makes me feel better.

It's cool. I have a bit of a modified way of the non-drip acclimation. I float for 15 minutes, put in a bucket I use for PWC's, and add water every ten minutes or so. I just am too terrified of getting LFS water in My tank, so that way makes me feel better.

I know what you mean..I try to only have fish in a bucket at night when the kids are in bed and I can shut the cats up in the bathroom LOL

Back
Top Bottom