RAISING THE TEMP. DOESN't WORK FOR ICH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kamo87

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is the 4th day since I've raised my temp. to 85 degrees and everything was ok but today I noticed that one of my mollies has white spots around her mouth. Should I raise it more???

I have heard 86* was the magic number and some go higher to be sure.
I guess you have to take into account how accurate your thermometer and and where it is. ie.. heat rises. As I understand it the Heat method interupts the Ichs cell division when in the cyst stage which takes place mostly in the substrate.
I never used the heat method, I have only treated Ich twice ever but Kordon Ich-Attack worked for me.

87 or above.. If you are treating in the tank (not QT) then leave at that temp for 2-3 weeks after the last spots disappear. Any lower and your just encouraging the growth not killing it.

I have heard 86* was the magic number and some go higher to be sure.
I guess you have to take into account how accurate your thermometer and and where it is. ie.. heat rises. As I understand it the Heat method interupts the Ichs cell division when in the cyst stage which takes place mostly in the substrate.
I never used the heat method, I have only treated Ich twice ever but Kordon Ich-Attack worked for me.

I use meds in my other infected tank now and it seems to work but im this one I just can't because I have scaleless fish and plants so this is my only option:(

thanks for the reply!!!

87 or above.. If you are treating in the tank (not QT) then leave at that temp for 2-3 weeks after the last spots disappear. Any lower and your just encouraging the growth not killing it.

ALL RIGHT I STARTED RAISiNG IT. IS IT GOING TO KILL MY PLANTS??

I would think not but I'm not a planted person. I'm sure one of the planties will chime in.

and stop yelling at me :)

It's important to understand how the heat method works. The heat methods forces the lifecycle of the ich to accelerate. This means that things will likely get worse before they get better, so don't be surprised if you see additional outbreaks before it begins to clear up.

There's 100 threads on Ich here at AA, search the forum and you will find tons of information.

I use meds in my other infected tank now and it seems to work but im this one I just can't because I have scaleless fish and plants so this is my only option:(

thanks for the reply!!!
Ich-Attach is safe for scaless fish, plants and beneficial bacteria. I have a bunch of expensive plecos and other cats and I would not hesitate to use it.
It is all natural and does not contain the harsh chemicals other Ich meds do.

Back
Top Bottom