Ram stopped eating...help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Botanica

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi...another thread about a sick ram...sorry everyone. My male ram has stopped eating and is hiding out under plants on the bottom. I know they often hide before they die...and I don't want him to die...he was my first fish! I know rams are sensitive and hard to care for ...but he has been super easy from day one! At one point in June...my husband was hospitalized and our house flooded so insurance had the family in a hotel during construction and the tank (20 gal) was untended but for feeding for over a month...it couldn't be helped. When I finally could come do a water change...I was truly surprised to find any of them alive...the nitrate was off the charts! Both the male and female ram along with Charlie my zebra angelfish had to suffer through. So now they all live happily in great water conditions...I tested this morning:
Ammonia. 0
Nitrite. 0
Nitrate. 20
PH 7

His breathing is a bit elevated...but the tank still has a billion microbubbles because we are waiting for our new lid from fluval...and all the other fish are acting normally...so i doubt there is an oxygen issue. He has no other signs of damage or illness...I'll attach a photo of him hiding today...any suggestions will be great!

Attachments

• image-351719504.jpg
    image-351719504.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 60
:-(. I'm so sad...he is much worse...gasping now on the bottom...hiding...can't really swim right. He isn't bloated or pale even...his color is bright as normal...no suggestions?

umramgirl86 said:
How old is he?

He was 11 months old...he is gone. :-(. I have no idea what the heck happened...he wedged himself into a spot where he wouldn't be eaten by the other fish...he was always so clever. All other fish in the tank are a ok...female ram acting normal as ever...thankfully. I'm watching everyone like a hawk tho...just in case.

Botanica said:
He was 11 months old...he is gone. :-(. I have no idea what the heck happened...he wedged himself into a spot where he wouldn't be eaten by the other fish...he was always so clever. All other fish in the tank are a ok...female ram acting normal as ever...thankfully. I'm watching everyone like a hawk tho...just in case.

Man, I'm so sorry :( Idk what could've happened (I'm still kind of a newbie), but I think I read one time that rams only live around 2 years. That's why I asked age, but I'm not sure if that's true or not. I hope not, because I just bought my first ram yesterday. I'm so sorry for your loss. My first fish (as an adult) is a corydora, and if I lost it, I'd be super sad! Hopefully someone can give you some ideas...

Thanks guys...I'm watching everyone else to be sure no one else is sick...and it's all good so far. We will get another male for our female so she won't be lonely...but I will miss him...lol...I feel silly. I never would have believed I could get upset over a $5 fish dying...but he was my little buddy...lol.

Back
Top Bottom