Rams Ick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

penguin23353

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Alright everyone,
So I've had my tank since August. Its 30 gallons and i have a 40 gallon sponge filter attached to a 40 gallon tetra whisper air hose. Also I have a 10 gallon tetra whisper hang on back filter. I had a big ick outbreak around christmas, and just finished rebounding my tank. About a week ago I got 3 rams from petsmart, hoping that they would pair, but it turns out that they are all males, so I plan on returning them. Last friday I got a few dwarf corys, and one of them was a little suspect looking and died the next morning. Here are all of my fish with when I got them

7 Ember tetras- 2 survived from Christmas and the other 5 I got yesterday
5 Dwarf Honey gouramis- 3 from friday 2 from yesterday
About 10 or so Pygmy/Dwarf Corys- probably 4 from January 2 from friday and 5 from yesterday
3 Platies- one from before the outbreak, and 2 from about 10 days ago
3 Rams- about 10 days ago. I plan to give these back to petsmart or give them to a fish keeping friend
3 kuhli loaches- from before outbreak
1 otocinclus- survived the outbreak.
According to Aqadvisor, Im right where I should be as far as stocking, and I have a lot of biological filtration, as well as the hang on back type too. temp was around 72, Ive made it 76 to help cure the rams of what seems like ich, which i noticed last night. There are no white spots on them as far as I can see, but they keep rubbing against things, which is typical of a fish with ick. I've done 2 25-540 percent water changes over the past 10 days, and I added some aquarium salt, raised the temperature, and have been using some melafix/pimafix medication to try to combat the ich. I have a water testing kit and i just checked literally a second ago. My ammonia doesn't even turn colors, on my kit ammonia goes from yellow deeper into green. so i assume it being clear is good. My nitrite is 0 ppm and my nitrate is 0ish ppm maybe higher but definitely lower than 5ppm by a lot. maybe around 1.5 ppm idk. my ph is high around 7.6. I have a good amount of driftwood in my tank to try to buffer that, but thats as low as i can get it. if anyone has any inexpensive suggestions as to how i can lower my ph they are greatly appreciated, as well as any suggestions as to how to eradicate any potential ick from my tank once and for all! thank you all- Robb

Hmmm...it sounds like you are doing the right thing, although that does seem like a lot of fish in a very short amount of time. And Petsmart isn't generally known for having the most healthy fish.

thanks. alright so ideally i won't have to add any fish in for a while. would you recommend me just doing a heat/salt treatment or just medication, or will a combination continue to be most affective

Back
Top Bottom