Random Fish Death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

raeexxraee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought a brand new Honey Gourami the other day and tonight I got home and found it laying on its side dead about an inch away from my only female guppy, who was dead too! The guppie had been dead for a while, it seemed it had absorbed some water, but rigor had not even set in on the other fish. I inspected both carefully and found nothing out of the oridinary.

What could have happened ?:confused:

What are your water parameters? How long have you had the tank? What size is the tank? Do you have a filter and heater? Did the guppy look pineconed?

I have had the tank for a month or so, i have an aqeon quiet flow 10 filter and a eko terra filter too just for extra filtering, i have a heater in their and its been at 82 degrees because my fish store told me to turn it up and give my fish some aquarisol because i had thought one of them had ich. Parameters im not sure of, but my tank is approximately 2ft tall , 1foot wide n almost 2 feet long.

Have you changed any of the water? Did you cycle your tank before you added fish? If not, that is most likely the problem. The ammonia and nitrite should be 0, and nitrates should be between 5 and 40 ppm. I would recommend getting a liqiud test kit ASAP. Until then, start changing the water 25-50% every day until you get one. I will try to find the link for the explanation of the nirtogen cycle.

Okay , I will buy a test kit with my next cheque, any good brands you suggest ?
Thanks.

API Freshwater Master. It's a bit expensive, but it's a lot cheaper than strips per test. More accurate too.

Well, ive got a pretty big cheque coming so i think ill invest in one of those. thanks to everyone who reliped

Back
Top Bottom