random fish death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gazingatstars12

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so I finally have my 72g tank up and running after months of planning . I added media from an old tank and added a bunch of fiah. I currently have 6 danio glow fish. 2 balloon mollys. 5 glassfish. 1 painted tetra. And one of the guys in the pic of the black fish and two of the lighter colored fish. today I lost 2 of the black ones and 1 glassfish and I don't knownwhy. Ammonia is reading less than .25 and nitrite and nitrates reading 0. Tomorrow I'm gonna take some media from my goldfish tank to see if I can kick start the cycle a little more because obviously what I put in already wasn't enough. Temp is steady at 78 and ph is at 7. Can anyone give me insigbt? Maybe some of the fish aren't compatible and are fighting when I'm not looking?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131206_001250.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131206_001250.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 82
  • ForumRunner_20131206_001301.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131206_001301.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 92
By glass fish, do you mean glass catfish ?

Edit. I think the fish in the bottom pic is a German ram.. they're sensitive and can be difficult to keep. They require absolutely pristine water conditions.. and the tetras are all schooling fish, so having just one is kind of lonely for the tetra.

I think they're tetras. Pic artached. The rams are doing ok. I haven't lost either of them. The ones that died are pictured below. One of the clear/neon ones and two of the blackish/greenish with white markings and the red bottom fin . Could the rams be bullying the other fish? I've been trying to keep an eye out for how everyone is interacting and haven't observed any problems as of yet but I can't watch the tank 24 hours a day

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131206_175303.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131206_175303.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 91
  • ForumRunner_20131206_175329.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131206_175329.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 95
  • ForumRunner_20131206_175632.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131206_175632.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 90
I think they're tetras. Pic artached. The rams are doing ok. I haven't lost either of them. The ones that died are pictured below. One of the clear/neon ones and two of the blackish/greenish with white markings and the red bottom fin . Could the rams be bullying the other fish? I've been trying to keep an eye out for how everyone is interacting and haven't observed any problems as of yet but I can't watch the tank 24 hours a day

The darker one in the pic looks like a green tiger barb but can't tell for sure. Doesn't sound like your tank is completely cycled as ammonia should be 0 and nitrites should be 0, while nitrates should be above 0. The Rams shouldn't be picking on anyone in a tank that size. My guess is its just that you're not cycled.

Yeah when I set up the tank I added all the media from my dwarf puffer tank because those fish got moved. Obviously the established media wasn't enough or just didn't take for whatever reason. I'm hoping it kicks in soon. If it doesn't I'll take some media from my goldfish tank and add it but in the mean time I'm keeping a close eye on parameters and doing water changes

What those are, painted glassfish. They are actually injected with dye to make them those colors. They are not very hardy because of it and those that do live will lose their color eventually

I'm also sure those are painted Indian glass fish, to my knowledge I believe they're actually brackish fish.

So basically they're like the tattooed fish i refuse to buy on principle. Wish i would have known that before i bought them because i don't like buying from stores that sell fish who have been (what I consider mutilated or hurt) in that way. And the fish were being kept in a fw system at the lfs

I'm also sure those are painted Indian glass fish, to my knowledge I believe they're actually brackish fish.

They are fw it is a myth they are brackish. Also, fish don't immediately sell from a lfs. Some can be there for quite a while actually.

Yeah there's a catfish in my lfs that I almost bought one time. I kept seeing him every time I went back for months and months. The sucker never sold and is over 2 feet long now

That's for sure. I've seen some fish in some of my local stores that have hung around for ages and ages, even after being marked down. Usually species that get quite large or have some sort of defect, but not always.

I had issues with green barbs being aggressive and killing other fish, they are also supposed to be kept in groups of 6 or more.

Back
Top Bottom