Rapid breathing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tony Roberts

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We have a fairly new tank set up [6 weeks]: Trigon 350 , which is the first tank of this type we have used : our previous long experience being with traditional tanks up to 4 foot. The basic set up is as follows:

Heating cable;
Dennerle Deponit base with thin layer of fine gravel for appearance
Juwel 1000 filter and lighting [ we have tried to diffuse the direct output of the pump as there seemed to be excessive turbulence.
300w heater.
Co2 diffuser with bubble counter and maxi flipper : currently 20 bubbles per minute and the indicator shows adequate CO2]
Bog wood and good planting [ we had some duck weed as cover but when it 'exploded' we took it out as it completely covered the water surface

Conditions:
ph 6.8 Tap water 7.2
KH 3-4 Tap water 6
GH 10-13 Tap water 8
NO2 <0.3
temp 28
Regular testing of all the above and we follow the Dennerle proramme of regular water changes [2 weekly] with additions of fertiliser, iron and trace elements.

Fish 6 young discus; 12 neons, 10 ottos, 4 gourami; 6 pygmy cats; 3 bronze cats.

Everything is going well except that the fish seem to be breathing very rapidly, especially the neons.

Any advice would be welcome

Neons and discus are not a good mix as neons prefer cooler water than discus. 28C might be at least part of the problem. Cardinals and rummy nose tetras can handle the elevated temp quite well though.

One of the more common discus maladies is that they are prone to gill flukes. Flukes are potentially deadly to young discus. Other species can be carriers and suffer no adverse affects. It's for that reason that I cringe when hear of people placing young discus with any other fish. You are basically rolling the dice.

I raise all of my young discus in bare bottom 29g tanks. 5 or 6 to a tank until they reach about 3 1/2 inches. This not only makes the water changing easier, but allows for treating any problem which may occur. I'd like to suggest that you move your young discus to a grow out tank and change at least a third of the water every other day. It's your best shot at success.

Back
Top Bottom