Rapid loss of fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scratchez Itchit

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Guys.

We are loosing a higher than normal number of fish in our tank and we are not sure why. As brief a history as possible - 6 months ago the tank broke, leaked and was replaced with no significant loss of life (2 tetras). The replacement tank leaked 8 weeks ago and was again replaced. Over the following weeks we have lost life big time and fish which we considered hardy. All 4 cat fish, 3 gourami, 4 rams, 2 guppy, 2 molly and countless tetra.

We've had a water test this week - and everything was fine ("Nitrates a little high"). Coinciding with the mass loss has been a significant increase in the snail population and I have also noticed very small (1mm x 4mm), very quick, cream coloured slugs.

Particularly the cat fish turned pale before dying.

This is about as much info as I can give. The tank is owned (and run) mutually in an office and my view on the reasons has been; the tank change / coincidence / it was just their time and the cure being; leave it alone, it will fix itself - but now even I'm losing confidence and beginning to side with those that believe there is a bigger problem and that action need taking.

Your opinions are more than welcomed, thanks. Jon.

What size is the tank, has it been properly cycled, and how often do you do water changes?

How much and often do you feed. Try reducing the amount of food your giving, fish don't need much food and can survive many days without. The reason I'm asking is you said nitrates were a little high, this is a sign of not enough water change, too much food or not changing the carbon. Carbon should be changed minimum of once per month( depending on bio load) and feeding should be a small pinch per day, and change at least 20-40% weekly and things should be better! I never have any nitrates at all!! Always tests to 0!! If you are doing all of these right then maybe your filter is inadequate! Over filtration is also a good thing I try to aim for twice the recommended. ( of the tank is 50gal have at least 100 gal capacity filter or 2 50 gal filters.) I have 2x 70 gal filters on my 55 gal and never have any issues! Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom