rasbora wound

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmlong

Aquarium Advice Activist
I noticed today that one of my rasbora's has a very swollen belly. As i looked closer I could see a pink spot as well. It looks as if somehow the fish cut itself or one of the other fish bit him, not sure. I think the pink spot is actually internal matter protruding out of the wound. I haven't been feeding as often so the fish doesn't get full and exert more pressure on it. What should i do with this fish and what do you think its fate will be. I've never had this happen before. Will it heal over and should i do any treatments to aid it?

What kind of fish do you have in there that might have done this?? If you have a likely candidate I would remove you rasbora to another tank to try & recover. If the fish was in good condition before the wound then it should do fine with no food to complicate things for a while at least.
Probably would help if you could post a pic in terms of getting advice on treating the specific injury.

I've got two glow tetra's, another rasbora, two cherry barbs, 1 red tetra(the other two got sick and died), and one betta. I've never seen anyone going after eachother except the tetra and the betta, they don't like eachother but they live with it! I've tried taking pics before and its pretty much impossible with my cam. I took the wounded rasbora out for now, he won't eat at all. The rasbora is very healthy(was)!!! I did notice that the two rasbora's were the first to get the food at feeding. They ate every bite in sight. I only feed pinches in the evenings but they always got themselves big and plump. I'm wondering if he didn't do it to himself, if that is possible. Can they split themselves from too much food? I have a rubber lip pleco too and noticed that when i put algae wafers in for him the other fish like to nibble at it and he has a fit! He'll come at the fish real fast and turn away. I didn't think pleco's were hostile.

It is hard to say what is wrong with the rasbora. It is good that you removed the wounded one because it is not likely to recover. If you have any antibiotics on hand you could try that or Melafix.

They cannot eat themselves to the point of splitting, so it is likely bloat, possibly combined with an injury since sick fish will often get picked on.

Your pleco will be hostile when he is hungry, so in addition to algae wafers put some zuchinni in there for him several times a week, and he will munch on that after lights out, when the other fish are not active. Try to feed the wafers after lights out also so he can have it to himself.

ok, i'll try that. The rasbora died. Probly better off. I think it might have been bloat also. It had black in it's stomach. Also, i did a little research on freshwater diseases and have to wonder if it was tuberculosis. It did look like some sort of popeye that came from the inside out. oh well, poor fishy! I think i might presoak those algae wafers. the pleco can't seem to get anything off of it until it expands.

Back
Top Bottom